millie won't stop!!!

jttorv

Help!!!! My millie won't stop! I usually use the needle up/down to lock my first stitches, then sew in manual, but he keeps stitching, and I have to shut the power off to get it to stop. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any ideas? Of course this would happen on a Sunday.

Thanks for any input,

Jessica in Duluth, Mn

Jessica,

That little screw can cause a bit of a pain in your life...I don't know how it moves, but somehow it gets out of whack and then look out. I had the problem at one point and it took me several tries to get it fixed, but have not had the problem in a while. It sure it good to know about that little screw and how to fix that problem so easily.

Happy quilting!

MB

The screw is a potentiometer (20 turn variable resistor) in the needle speed circuit. When a machine is new it is tight and as it breaks in it runs more freely (just like a new car) you then need to slow the needle speed down so it won't go past the sensor that stops it. Normally they will only need one or two adjustments. If you line voltage varies this sometimes effects the needle speed adjustment.

The adjustment can be made by removing the front 4 screws and loosening the rear two and lifting the front up with your left hand while making the adjustments with your right.

I alway view it this way cw would screw a screw in (slow down) ccw screw up (speed up).

John

Originally posted by John Mitchell

I'm sorry. That comes from being a Amateur radio operator for over 44 years and a Technician for many years. Before I decided to go into management. (bad move).

How about turn the liittle brass screw cw?

John

John, I didn't know you are a ham! What's your call sign? Mine is WL7GF and my husband (who's been a ham for over 30 years, since a teenager) his call sign is KL7AC. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John and Shana,

My husbands a Ham Radio Operator. KA6JLP. Mostly on 15 or 19 Meter. General. 5 element monobander. 60 feet up in a tree. I think John and Bill spoke on the phone about my Ultimate speed varying at times.

He just told me all this stuff----I don't have a clue what it all means. Now if we are talking quilting and quilting machines I understand some of that just slightly better.;)

Hi Everyone:

Linda, yes a Millie is a Millennium. If you would contact your local APQS dealer they can help you. You can even trade in your Freedom. If you do not have a local dealer and would like some more information just email or call us here at Country Lane. We can tell you your trade in value and get you a quote on a Millie.

John

• 1 month later...

I did a search to find an answer to my problem of the single stitch function continuing to stitch after the initial stitch. I thought I was set to go with the great tips I included below from Mary Beth and John Mitchell. After turning what I perceive as the "gold screw" (I don't know what #8 means) with not much success, I now need to know if it is the right screw.

The screw I turned is on the left side of a white plastic platform that holds the "starter with condenser. It this correct, or am I even in the wrong place??? Any help will be appreciated.

Shanna

Mary Beth said....

If you take the cover off the machine, near the front, there is a gold screw - #8 - you need to give it just the slightest turn to the right, then try it again. DON'T turn any other screw but #8. That should fix the problem.

John Mitchell said....

The screw is a potentiometer (20 turn variable resistor) in the needle speed circuit. When a machine is new it is tight and as it breaks in it runs more freely (just like a new car) you then need to slow the needle speed down so it won't go past the sensor that stops it. Normally they will only need one or two adjustments. If you line voltage varies this sometimes effects the needle speed adjustment.

The adjustment can be made by removing the front 4 screws and loosening the rear two and lifting the front up with your left hand while making the adjustments with your right.

I alway view it this way cw would screw a screw in (slow down) ccw screw up (speed up).

Hi Shanna

I think you have removed the front panel of your Milli - thats where the white starter is - you need to be removing the long top cover that is on top of your machine.

So remove the four front screws on the long top cover and loosen the next two they hold down the short top cover. Lift up the front of the long top cover and, standing at the front of the machine, look at the right hand side of the circuit boards and you will see one lonely gold screw in a blue house and this screw will be facing horizontally. Every other screw on the circuit board faces the ceiling. On the "blue house" you will see marked #8 or just 8. this is the screw that needs adjustment.

Make the adjustment when the machine is thoroughly warmed up for it to take effect. (Run ithe machine for about 10 minutes to warm it up) Turn the gold screw clockwise half a turn if the needle is cycling only a couple of times, a full-turn if it is cycling 5-6 times and see how this improves things. You can turn it another turn if its still cycling.

It is important to warm the machine up first (sorry to be repeating this but its important).

Good luck,

Sue in Australia

Sue in Australia,

You should write users manuals! I take things very literally when I follow directions and so "front of the machine" is where I went. Wrong.... Your directions were perfect! And I did warm up my machine. The half turn didn't do it, so I did the full turn and knew I could then close the top down and get back to my quilt top.

I was slightly worried when I first saw all those gold screws, but picked up your instructions I printed out and they sent me to the exact right spot. Were you ever a teacher????

Very grateful for the information

Shanna in Cedar Rapids Iowa

• 3 weeks later...

I think this little screw (Number 8) may be what I should be adjusting. Lights 3 and 6 on the left bank are red, which is needle positioner lock out and motor speed sensor. I am an absolute newbie. So after the elation of Millie arriving yesterday, and spending yesterday afternoon and this morning assembling the machine and for once in my life, I have actually followed the manual to the letter, watched the training DVD before wrecking anything and then reading the manual. By this evening when I had finally loaded my practice piece and started doing the exercises as stated in the manual - without thread as recommended, I was so disappointed when using the back handles millie wouldn't stop and then broke a needle, when I replaced the needle it broke again. I looked things up in the troubleshooting manual, but I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could give me a few words of encouragement before I start attacking things and making a mess. Sue, my agent here in Australia is away at a show at the moment. This is my first post here, but I just love checking my APQS newsletter everyday to see what everyone has been up to, I just didn't plan on calling for moral support so early in the piece. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:(

• 6 months later...

thanks Sue for your great instructions. I have had the same problem and today it wouldn\'t stop cycling. I searched other threads but they didn\'t make sense of where I should be looking, just opened the right part and fixed the problem. Well almost, Just finished a panto row and it cycled twice, maybe a little more of a turn. but much better than what it was.

Archived