Bali Star bedrunner

I am getting ready to quilt a Bali Star bedrunner (pattern from Judy Niemeyer).  Thinking of using Monopoly Thread from Superior since fabrics go from light to dark.

Anyone used this thread on the top or/and the bobbin ?  Any adjustments to tension ?  I know thread can be washed & dried (moderate), what about a steam press ?

Any other pitfalls I need to watch for ?  Suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

Anything you use from Superior should be fine, I use monopoly a lot on appliqué but have not tried it in the bobbin, I use it on top with magna glides on the bottom and you can't even see the bottom thread, I usually loosen the top tension up a whole turn - when you pull the thread through the eye it should not curl up tightly...your tension needs to be looser - if your thread breaks a lot then it is too tight.  Fine to wash and dry and should be fine to iron...I think it is the rayon thread that used to melt under an iron but this should be fine.

Years ago for a in-house test I applied high heat from an iron to Monopoly and also Monolon. This was bare thread and the neither melted. But the Monopoly turned opaque, which I believe would make it brittle. The Monolon seemed to be unaffected. Do a test with a stitched piece and your steamer to check for damage. With your top tension set as Vicki recommended above, you don't need to use it on the bottom as well. You'll have better luck your first time using invisible if you use something else in the bobbin. 

Archived