Fabric Advance

I'm not sure if I labeled the topic correctly.  I was quilting a quilt today and when I was done quilting it and going to unroll it with the fabric advance,   my fabric advance doesn't work.   Is there a fuse or something in it?   I am confused.  I have a Freedom  and  I bought it new in November, 2011.   I have quilted approx. 250 quilts on it and never had a problem until today.   Is there anyone out there who has had this problem and can share with me how to fix it?   I can not figure out how to manually roll that roller so I am assuming it only works with the fabric advance.   HELP..... I had today off and I want to load another quilt and get started on it and now I can't.

Beachside Quilter,  I always use the foot pedal so I haven't touched any of the switches.  One minute it worked to advance fabric and the next minute it didn't work.   I did try unplugging my machine and plugged it back in 10 minutes later, but still nothing.  My Guess is that it must be the fuse.   When my husband gets home, I will have him investigate.  

Check the allen screw under the advance part at the end of the roller.  The roller end fits into the stationary end like a cog and sometimes mine will get backed off and then it won't advance.  My husband realigns it and tightens the allen screw and all is good again.  I'm pretty sure I didn't use the right names here, but that's what it is when mine does this. 

I assume the motor isn't working at all? It could be the fuse or you may have a loose connection in your foot pedal. Check if it works using the toggle switches. If not, it's not getting power and the usual suspect is a blown fuse.

Did you check the motor brushes? Usually you'll have some sluggishness first if the brushes need to be replaced, but you might check them anyway...

I am so frustrated.  I called APQS mid morning yesterday and left Amy a message and my cell phone # and I have not heard back from her which means now I will have to go all weekend without my machine working correctly.  I THINK I will send a message on APQS on the contacts form and see if Mark will call me.

For Beachside Quilter, when I move the silver know to the take up roller, how do I lock the tak-eup roller so it doesn't move?   I really need to work on a customer quilt and I need to figure out how I can do this manually since my motorfeed advance is not working.   I would appreciate any tips anyone has.

This will make you crazy, but since there isn't a brake for the back take-up roller (unless you can make one) you'll need to use the coupler of the advance as a brake for the back roller. To advance, loosen the top as much as you think you'll want to advance and set the brake. Loosen the motor part of the advance and pull it back so the coupler is separated. Use your hand to tighten the back take-up roller until the top is where you want it, still with a little slack in it. Adjust the roller so the coupler can again be pushed on and tighten underneath. You can now loosen the front brake and manually tighten the front roller until the top is flat. It's a pain, but until you get some help or a brake for the back roller, this is a way to keep quilting. Good luck and I hope you're back to normal soon.

Thanks Linda,  My husband and I did figure out how to do that to lock it so I can at least use my machine for now.   OMG!   These machines are like our life line!!!!!  And that is why I love my APQS.   I had a 'lesser" model for me first machine and it went down 4 times in the 10 months I had it..   ANd everytime, my customer quilting came to a halt for about a week waiting for it to get fixed.   I absolutely love this Freedom and this is the first time I have had an issue with it.  I'm just in panic mode about it  because now it is the weekend so I know I most likely will not get contact from "APQS Service" rep until Monday.

Archived