No Shame in Drawing Feathers!

I've been struggling this morning with a feather border.  The scale is BIG, especially for me.  I love making smaller feathers freehand, but in a large scale they are HARD!  I finally realized.....there is no shame in drawing those big feathers on the quilt.  Whew!  Here are my before and after pics:

This one is the "before".  Not bad, but I wasn't happy with the wonky shapes in the inner circle.  As I continued, they were getting downright ugly in that same spot.  post-4164-0-75342400-1425586600_thumb.jpg

Finally, I drew it out carefully to scale on paper.  And realized I'd need to draw them on the quilt to make them pretty in my eyes.  It took longer, but when they are drawn on they are much easier to stitch. post-4164-0-94070600-1425586736_thumb.jpg

Now I need to figure out why my stitch regulator is making such tiny stitches no matter where I set the length.  I know I have some info on that somewhere.

I just felt like sharing my "aha" moment today.

Thanks for looking.  This quilt will be done soon, I'll post more pics.  It's the pyramid quilt that some of you helped me with ideas for over a year ago.

Very pretty Annie!  You're not alone, I chalk out my feathers also.  I'm actually doing something very similar to your feather design right now.  It's harder for me to do big feathers too, but I think just the motion of chalking them also gets me into the rhythm.

Thanks for sharing.  I'm anxious to see the finished quilt!

Annie:

I think your feathers look wonderful.  I took a class on my DSM, all the other participants were using longarms, with APQS Claudia Pfeil, and your feathers look a lot like hers.  I would suggest your checkout her  (P)Fun(PF)feiling(P)Feathers......video and book.  You can also visit her Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201040516269584

At the moment, I cannot find her direct link to order books and videos.  I took the fun feiling feathers class, and got the book/dvd combo, and have greatly enjoyed them.  

Keep up the outstanding work.

Cagey

Archived