I purchased a used APQS Millenium the day after Thanksgiving. After doing some all over quilting designs for a few quilts and taking a class on quilting negative space from Angela Walters, I dove in and had a lot of fun densely quilting my Foothills Mystery Quilt (created by Cheryl @Meadow Mist Designs). 

A simple snowbank and a bit of sunlight across a corner of the quilt starts to give you an idea of the texture and quilting detail that I put into the quilt.

foothills-mystery-quilt-24-900x558.jpg

I do not have any idea of the total number of hours I spent on the quilting; it was a lot. I worked on the quilting over 3 days, and I was inspired to try a lot of new patterns and ideas after taking Angela Walters’ Quilting Negative Space workshop at QuiltCon. I used a wishbone pattern around the borders, a square spiral at each corner, swirl hooks in the negative space around the blocks, a large swirl hook in the center of each diamond surrounded by a small rounded meander to help the swirl hook poof and pop up, back and forth lines in the diamonds and stars (alternating the direction of the lines for each pattern), and a different FMQ pattern for each row of the gray blender. Whew!

foothills-mystery-quilt-18-900x675.jpg

I used 50wt Aurifil #2692 (black) on the black and gray, and 50wt Auriful #2130 (medium butter) on the yellow and to sew down the binding. The thread blended perfectly into the quilt, and I really had a lot of fun adding in lots of dense quilting details across the quilt.

foothills-mystery-quilt-19-675x900.jpg

I got more confident with the small swirl hook meander pattern as time went on, but because I made the pattern so small it took a lot of time and an entire large spool of Aurifil to quilt just the black portion of the quilt. Adding in the amount of the medium butter thread I used, the quilt has roughly 1990 yards or just over a mile of thread just in the quilting.

foothills-mystery-quilt-22-675x900.jpg

Many more photos and details on the entire process can be read about in my blog post

Archived