Need some input

My quilting will mostly be for myself.  A home hobby.  I am looking at getting a long arm and have couple that I am interested in.  

There is an older Gammill Decorative Quilter on 14 ft table near me. I am pretty sure this is an early model long arm and frame looks wood. $1000

There is also a 2010 18 inch Ken Quilt. Red has regal stitch regulator on it for $4500.  Also near me.

There is a Baby Lock Jewel with the Quilt Motion software with almost no use on it.  $8500.  

The Gammill looks like an old work horse but it doesn't appear to have any handles and used in rear position.  I am pretty sure it doesn't have any modern features on it.  The Ken Quilt is no longer in business and that worries me a little but the machine looks solid.  The one thing that would thrill me more than anything though is to have the robotic software that the Baby Lock has.  

Could this even be added to the Ken Quilt at some point considering they aren't even in Business?  Is there something compatible for it?

IMO Baby Lock makes some nice sewing machines and sergers but I really don't know anything about there long arms.  

I'm not familiar with the Ken Quilt "Red" model you reference.  Perhaps you have miss identified it.  That being said, it would be my choice of the three you reference.  I think it is the smallest of their industrial line.  These Ken Quilts were a first line machine.  I have a friend with a Ken Quilt Princess, and it has been a fine machine.  She has had no problems at all with it.  It does have the Intellistitch stitch regulator on it, which might be different from the "regal" stitch regulator you mention.

The Gammill is a very early model, originally manufactured by Nolting I think.  Probably still O.K. but very basic.  No new technology at all. As far as the Baby Lock goes, IMHO it is not a first line machine, and if I were prepared to spend that kind of money for one, it would go toward a used first line machine, not a Baby Lock. I am not familiar with the Quilt Motion computer system that comes with the Baby Lock, but I do know not all computer systems are equal.  You could probably add a basic system like the Q Bot to the Ken Quilt and have it cost less than the Baby Lock.  Hope this helps.  Jim   

Is the Babylock the Jewel or the Crown Jewel? The Crown Jewel is the newer model and is an improvement on the first model the Jewel. I previously owned the Jewel and I was very happy with it except for 3 things. I wanted a more sensitive SR, which the Crown Jewel does have; I wanted a throat larger than 18"; and I wanted a better table than the Grace frame it came on. I was able to fit the Jewel to an Innova table, which I loved, but couldn't solve the other 2 issues. I eventually sold it and purchased a 26" Innova - which I love. Best wishes in your search.

The Ken Quilt color is red.  I think it may be a Prince or Princess ?  It has an 18 throat.  I looked on QBOT's website I didn't see Ken Quilt listed as a model it would work with.    Actually didn't see any of the bigger machines will it work on Ken Quilt ,Gammill, APQS and these type machines?

The Babylock is the Crown Jewel with the 18 throat also.  It comes with the Pearl frame. 

The Ken Quilt Princess is a 22 inch throat.  I don't know what the 18 inch model was called.  I think the Q Bot can be attached to most any machine.  They probably don't focus on the first line machines because there are more sophisticated systems targeting them.

I think the "regal" stitch regulator is the same system as used on the A-1 Elites, so I believe it is probably still supported.  The Ken
Quilt table/frame is a good solid unit.  Jim 

I just did a bit of looking and note that the Ken Quilt models used to be:  Regal, Princess, and Duchess. The 18" machine must have been the Duchess.  I don't know about the colors, but my friend's Princess is a red machine.  I believe custom colors were offered at an extra price.  Jim

wow, I feel like today is the day to decide.  2 more machines within a few hours of me both were posted this morning.

2009  A-1 Excellent condition/well cared for machine. PLUS Power fabric advance, roll around caster set, & many additional quilting tools, gadgets, & pantos. NOT computerized but is upgrade able. This is a really nice machine. Beautiful stitch quality; very dependable.   $11,500 so is over my budget a little. Not sure if they might work with me.  

Gammill Optimum Plus 2004 Long Quilting machine with 14 ft. table, 30 inch throat. Regulated stitch control. Great condition, sews beautifully. Has laser tracker but not sure what that is and tried to google but this is right at my budget. Both very close in price

Hi,  I don't know if you would need a 30 inch throat for use as a hobby machine...that is a pretty far reach when you get to the backside...I am 5'4" and find my 26 inch Lucey a bit more than a comfortable reach all the way to the back....just noticed that APQS still have a few used machines that come with a 3 year warranty that are under 10,000 which is less than the A-1...Lin

The A-1 Elite is a nice machine.  For some time I have thought that they pay more attention to the refinements of long arm quilting than any of the manufacturers.  Most of the features  incorporated into their tables are very well thought out, and seem to make machine use easier/more convenient.   The 23" throat seems quite the nice size.  When I saw the price you mentioned, it seemed a bit high to me.  I have looked on several other sites, and it seems to be pretty much in line.  Not a bargain, but not out of line. (I saw a 2010 for $10400, a 2009 for $10000, and another with no year listed for $9950)

The Ken Quilt seems to be the best value, but if it really is an 18" machine, it is a bit on the small size, and the manufacturer no longer being in business is a down side.  I have another friend who has an A-1.  She had some problems with it when it was first delivered, but those have been sorted out, and now it performs very well.  I don't think most other A-1's would have the same issue.  Her's was one of the very first built after a major design change, and they hadn't worked out all the manufacturing bugs at that point.  I also do not want to dismiss the Gammill Optimum.  I have a Gammill Classic as well as my APQS, and the Gammills are real workhorses.  They have a lot going for them.

If all these machines are close to where you live, you will be able to move it yourself, which would save you shipping costs, and hopefully they are sold by private owners so you won't face sales tax.  Again a significant cost on purchases as large as this.  I would certainly negotiate on the price of any machine you choose.  The cost is significant. and sometimes the re-sale can be slow, especially if the price isn't a real bargain.  Good luck.  Jim

I was leaning towards the Kenquilt since the price was very affordable, but it's been a week and no response from the seller so on to the other machines.  I've been looking at the better machines there is a Gammill dealer not to far from me and there is a APQS in Dallas but looks closer to where I won't drive in Dallas.  The QBot shows it is compatible with the A-1 but not the other brands,  I've emailed them but no response back so I will call Monday.  ---I checked with the Gammill dealer and they want (forget if it was $14,000 or $16,000) to add it to a machine w/o it.  Does anyone know what the Quilt Path runs to be added on?  And no I am not looking at adding it right away b/c I will be maxed out, but it will give me idea's for the best route to go.  

I just feel that I would make more use of having a long arm if I can get it to work while I am able to sit and sew beside it.

Still wondering if I am only doing a couple quilts a month if that Baby Crown Jewel with the software would be more than enough to please me esp since it has the upgraded frame. I am still sewing on the 33 year old Singer I bought when I was 16.  Although it was brand new and did cost a lot in those days. ...lol 

Still wondering if I am only doing a couple quilts a month if that Baby Crown Jewel with the software would be more than enough to please me esp since it has the upgraded frame. I am still sewing on the 33 year old Singer I bought when I was 16.  Although it was brand new and did cost a lot in those days. ...lol 

The old Singer machines are workhorses.  I have a couple of 301s and featherweights and they just keep on sewing.  I have some treadles also and they sew beautifully - even did a quilt on one of them.

I quilt almost exclusively for myself, have an APQS Millie, and not once have I regretted spending the extra money to get a top of the line machine from a company that goes the extra mile to deliver top notch customer service.  There are three APQS dealers in Oklahoma (Stillwater, Tulsa and Barnsdall) and all would  probably be an easier drive than Dallas.  The dealer near Dallas is in Lewisville, I believe off of I-35.  Still plenty of traffic but not quite into Dallas.  I used to live in Texas and drove I-35 and would not hesitate to visit their showroom if I wanted to test an APQS, even though I know there will be traffic and I avoid it whenever possible. You can call any of the dealers and set up an appointment and they will accommodate you any way that they can.  There are used machines available at times so you could also check into that, and the dealers can tell you about Quilt Path.

If you have problems with your APQS machine there are people on this forum who will help and you can get help over the phone from APQS if you need to.  The company is established and will be around long into the future.  I think buying a Ken Quilt is a mistake because you may be unable to get parts for it since the company is no longer in business.

It sounds like I am trying to sell you on APQS, and I probably am, but you need to get what works for you and it would be a good idea to test drive different brands of machines.  Don't settle for something that is not what you want, hold out for the machine that will do all of the things that you want, or more, because once you start quilting you will realize your creativity has been unleashed.  Good luck with your quest.

Learning to quilt....where in Oklahoma do you live?  I'm in Shawnee and have an APQS Millie...not for sale of course, but you could try it out.  I wouldn't get in a hurry about buying used. There are lots of used machines.  Take the time to do more research and maybe rent some time on a machine before you invest.  You'll be more confident in your purchase.

I saw the used ones on the site.  I love the warranty with them, but to be honest it's kind of vague esp to someone new.  I don't see if they even come with a table or photo's or information about the machine.  They don't even say if they have stitch regulator or not.  Perhaps it's because I am not familiar enough to know that a certain model every year made may have one or all their machines do ect. However there are a couple private sales that I have been checking into.  (one high on my list)  :) 

All the Milleniums have stitch regulators, power feeds, and channel locks.  Some have thread cutters, some don't.  Anything listed by APQS will have a table, and they all are good.  The difference between years is, type of tubing they are built with (square or round), color (black and white I think), machine color (silver and white) and whether the carriage has horizontal wheels or linear bearings.  The type of wheels may be different as well, (original or M&M)  The later models may have an additional feature in the stitch regulator (quilt glide I think they call it), and one or two thread sensors.  The Turbo Winder is an option that may or may not be on the machine.  Hope this helps.  Jim

I saw the used ones on the site.  I love the warranty with them, but to be honest it's kind of vague esp to someone new.  I don't see if they even come with a table or photo's or information about the machine.  They don't even say if they have stitch regulator or not.  Perhaps it's because I am not familiar enough to know that a certain model every year made may have one or all their machines do ect. 

Jim Erickson gives good information; features will vary based upon the year of manufacture.  For older models, call your local dealer or APQS direct for specifics on the machine you're interested in.  The table information is at the bottom of the Certified Machine listing:

Certified used quilting machines come with choice of 10’ or 12’ table frame. Millennium and Freedom machines also have a 14’ table frame option. The George comes with a standard table 24" x 60" portable table.

All machines listed come with the Smart Bobbin (L)

The APQS Bliss Track System can be added to any used machine (except George) for $1,000**

**on new style; Bliss Ready rails**

Hope this helps!!  You can't miss with an APQS machine!

Vickie

I mostly quilt for myself and have a Millennium, but if I were looking to buy used, I would certainly go with an APQS machine because they have been certified and all ready to go..........any problems, there are dealers nearby to help.  I would hesitate to buy from an individual unless I knew the history of the machine, how well it was maintained, etc.   There are some really good deals on the Used Machine sales.

L2Q, don't be afraid of an older APQS machine. Many of us own older machines that didn't come with stitch regulation, and many have had aftermarket stitch regulation added on. You will still see these models out there for sale, but so many newer used models come in on trade and are available to get you going on the right track. Any time I have had any questions or concerns I've been able to get on here or call the company and get the answers or solutions I needed. If there is one thing for sure, it is that you will never be without help and comraderie. And you get the best of the best chiming in when you need help or just some friendly support.

Hi;

I received an inquiry regarding my response to this post on APQS Certified Used Machines. The machines, options and prices quoted are from the APQS Certified Machine Sale. The option of adding Bliss to these machines (except George) is $1000 additional. The price to add Bliss to YOUR existing APQS machine is dependent on the type of table and rail system you currently have. I apologize for any confusion regarding the addition of Bliss. As always, when purchasing used machines whether from APQS or a private seller, be sure you are fully informed on the equipment and pricing.

Hope this helps!!

I echo and agree with all of Carmen's comments.  I purchased my Millie for my home hobby.  I also believe that "support" is the number one consideration for any product when purchasing an investment.  Yes, this is an investment even though you will be quilting for yourself.  I would stay clear from the Ken Quilt since the manufacturer is no longer in business (no support or parts).  I own a Baby Lock Symphony for DSM and rate it very highly, however, when I was considering a Longarm, the Baby Lock dealer whom sells many Baby Lock sergers and DSM said she could not recommend the Jewel or Crown Jewel.  If you have an opportunity to test drive an APQS next to a Baby Lock, you will quickly understand.  I respect my BL dealer for being honest with me.  I love my Millie and have no regrets with purchasing a solid machine, but most importantly the support and service is above and beyond.  This forum proves it.  Just sayin....

Archived