Its a miracle beautiful tension

I am on top of the world right now! I have had a Millie for 5 years and have fought with tension issues the whole time.  I have tried everything more times then I care to admit and bought new tension parts new bobbin cases everything except one thing.  I took Linneas advice and used prewound bobbins and I hope I don't jinks myself but what a difference!!!! I am quilting with dark turquoise on top and cream in bobbin on a cream backing and you wouldn't believe it I can't see any turquoise on the back and the stitches are delightful. She must not like the bobbin winder. Wow I just wanted to share in case someone else might have the same problem.

That's awesome feed back.  I'm still pretty new (Millie came in November) and had perfect tension pre wound or turbo winder, until I tried some thicker cotton thread.  I have not put the magic back yet.  Tried back tracking my changes, but it's still not perfect like before.  Tried several other steps, bobbin case, rethreading, oiling hook, etc.  It's passable back to polyester, but if I have to use pre-wound, I will!  Will keep tweaking per instructions here, but it really is a magic combo.  Good for you!!!

Beth I hope you get her back on track nothing more stressful when quilting and the machine goes wonky. My DH asked me why I didn't do this earlier but I would get good tension and then all of a sudden it would mess up. I really didn't think it was the winder but maybe it is. I couldn't use King Tut but others have said they have issues with that thread too so I switched to SoFine and it works better. My machine really works better with polyester but I like the SoFine better. I'm going to try these prewounds for awhile and if they work I will dig into the winder to see what the  problem with it is or should I say my DH will check into it. lol

I agree with Linda. Since using glide and prewound magnetic bobbins, tension has been wonderful. It has taken the frustration out of quilting for me and Patience(my Millie). Isn't it great when we can just quilt and not fight any problems? I'm so glad Nancy you found what works for you and your machine.

It sounds as if the group of you are saying that you get better tension results by using prewound bobbins.  Do you believe this is due to the fact the bobbins are wound at a constant tension?

If so, why could you not use a TOWA gauge or embroidery gauge to set a defined tension on the bobbin as it winds to hopefully get tension free quilting using home wound bobbins?

Cagey

I have a Towa -- never out of the box, because I've always used pre-wounds and don't have tension problems with my 2006 Millennium!  (Am I tempting the fates by putting this in print?) 

My few attempts at winding bobbins were disastrous in all respects.  Life's too short to be frustrated by mere thread when there's an easy solution.

Barbara

I just found some magna glides Linnea gave me to try and I forgot I had them. Do I take the spring out of the bobbin case to use the Magna glides? What top thread do are all of you using with the Magna glides? Thanks everyone for your help I love this forum. I just love everything today because I quilted all day with no tension problems but I did notice I had alittle bit of backlash on bobbin when quilting faster so will the Magna glides possibly help with that? I won't complain about a few backlashes compared to what I've been going thru. Thanks again.

Please don't use the very inexpensive bobbin Winder, I think about 30 or 40 dollars.  They very seldom will work for a long arm machine.

I Can't think of the name of it.  I'm sure someone else can check in with the name,  please?

Oh gosh, I think I'm talking about the Side Winder and the Simplicity.  They just don't seem to fill well and tension isn't tight enough,

or evenly enough.

Hi Rita I was using the bobbin winder that came from APQS. Talk about me being slow at catching that problem I should have thought about it a long time ago. I ordered some Magna glides today because no matter the cost it's well worth the worry free quilting. In fact I finished a practice star quilt today and even tried curved crosshatching and it's done already.  Would anyone be able to tell me if FilTec has wholesale pricing? Thanks to everyone for your help.

The pricing on Filtec site is pretty much wholesale anyway......

Unless you want to buy all of the product line in bulk lots of 6 and the wholesale price is then  a bit less....but not much :(

I am a wholesaler in Australia but by the time I pay postage  to bring an order in, with our dollar at is present low, it is almost the same price as an individual could buy it themselves.

I have potential customers ask me for a quote for postage, then buy a large order for themselves out of the US to save a few dollars. Makes you wonder why should you bother.

Do the fil-tec magna glide bobbins only come in black or white. I want to try them as I am having tension issue. The web site I found tells me they are embroidery bobbins -- will they work with long arms.

What web site do you find them on?

Thanks

Lizbeth,

The Magna Glide Classics come in several basic colours.  There are also Magna Glide Delights that are a heavier thread and come in more colours than the Classics.  The Classics have more thread on them than the Delights.  They both work well on a longarm, just remove the bobbin spring before you use them.

Lizbeth,  Filtec have plastic sided bobbins that can be used in domestic machines or embroidery machines.

The Magnetic core bobbins - Classics 60wt come in 14 colours the Glide 40wt come in  almost 40 colours.

I don't usually match top to bobbin colours, so find one close to the backing colour and use Classics almost exclusively as there is a lot more thread on the bobbin.

Archived