Trapunto on longarm

I have a panel that I'm going to use for a charity quilt.  I'd like areas of the panel to be raised to show of the bunnies in the panel.  I was going to use water soluble thread and just add poly batting to each bunny using my DSM and then cut away any extra batting.  I'd then load it as usual on my long arm and quilt away.

Is there an easier way of doing this totally on the long arm or is this the simplest way for a small childs quilt?  TIA

That's the technique for traditional trapunto, Mercedes. You can achieve the same look with less effort by using a puffy batting like polydown and skipping the trimming. You can use one layer of puffy batting or a layer of thin cotton on the bottom and the poly on top. One way to emphasize the bunnies would be an extra line of stitching close to the first, or a quarter-inch-wide line of dense filler along the first stitching line (like ribbon candy or other micro-stitching). This will let the bunnies pop even more.

Another (easier) way to do traditional trapunto without the clipping---load the backer and the panel, using whatever base batting you want. Use Press-n-Seal and a marking pen to trace around the part you want to emphasize. Pin the marked Press-n-Seal to a piece of poly batting and cut around it, discarding the pattern. Insert the piece of batting under the top and position it under the bunny. Pin in place and stitch around it as you do the rest of the stitching. No clipping and still a lot of puff!  :D

Archived