Thread looping around the needle and breaking, help!

I have a 2008 Millenium that I have had for almost a year. The last few weeks I have had a horrible time with the thread looping around the needle and getting stuck, causing the thread to break as I move on. This usually happens on straight lines, when I stop the motor and pause to move the ruler and the restart the motor and move on. But it has also happened during stitching. Occasionally I get a skipped stitch just before it loops. I don't seem to have any trouble during free motion work or pantos. At the moment, I am using Signature, but the same thing happens with So Fine. The thread feels 'loose' between the tensioner and the needle. 

I am going crazy here. I can't run a business like this. This is what I've tried:

-changed the needle and tried different sizes

-put in a brand new bobbin case

-checked for burrs on all the thread guides and changed the pigtails

-checked for burrs on the hook (I did find several little nicks which I sanded out)

-checked for burrs on the retaining finger (found one and sanded it out)

-checked for burrs on the needle plate

I wasn't sure if it was the way I am moving the machine, but I have had it since last May, and I haven't had this trouble until now. Please help!post-51563-0-48050700-1426352975_thumb.jpgpost-51563-0-44562300-1426353026_thumb.jpg

It looks to me like your tension assembly isn't putting consistent tension on your thread. If you pull your top thread through the needle, does it bring the checkspring down? First off, clean thoroughly between the tension disks - you may have accumulated "gunk" between them, and that will keep them from putting proper pressure on your thread. Also, check that your checkspring isn't rubbing the side of the head.

In any case, you can repost this under the APQS Help forum - you'll get caste, more expert advice there.

You can copy the text you already entered, then go to the APQS Help Forum and start a new thread with the same information.

It still sounds like your tension assembly needs some tweaking.  I'll post the document about replacing and adjusting the tension assembly.  If you go to the end, there's a mention of how it should be set for proper tension.

Tension_control_disassembly_&_maintenance1.pdf

I noticed on the three hole your thread is not threaded with the over under method. Have you always threaded it that way and if you are using a different thread you may have to try a different thread path. I also highly recommend prewound bobbins. I posted earlier with tension problems for years and tried the prewound and its as different as night and day well worth the cost.

Try using a different cone of thread. Also, have you run over anything lately, needles, cutting tools, or anything. May have pushed your needle bar up. Take a look in the hook when the needle is down. You should be able to see the whole eye of needle & about 3/32" above the eye. Zeke.

I had a similar problem with my 2008 Millie. I added 2 extra thread guides on the side of the machine head. One on the "up" side between the silver L-shaped guide and the take up lever, the other on the "down" side between the take up lever and the pigtail. Between this and changing to Fil-tec Glide Deights prewound bobbins, I haven't had any more problems. The thread bouncing around on the side of the machine was allowing the slack to wrap around the needle. Stopped the thread from bouncing around and the problem stopped.

I used 2 tips for fishing rods I bought at the local sporting goods store and glued them on with that super strong craft glue. I can't remember the name but it includes "6000".

The extra thread guide idea helped a lot. I took off the screw next to the take up lever and added a pig tail. Made a bit of a difference. However what really made the difference was retiming. I think it was off just a tiny bit. Retimed twice, with a deeper 'kiss' and that has solved it! Still keeping that extra pig tail though:) Thanks for all your help!