Ricky Tims' Super Quilt Seminar

Anyone going to the one coming up this weekend in Escondido? It's at the California Center for the Arts,

Escondido, CA Hosted by the Canyon Quilters of San Diego.

How far is Escondido from San Diego? Guess I can mapquest.

I'll be there. Just wondering if I could look forward to any friendly faces.

If anyone is interested here is the link:

http://www.rickytims.com/seminars.html

I was reading the description. Very interesting, I like the concept. You don't have to bring any gear!

Hi, Cheryl!

Oh darn it, I wish I could come see Ricky's show. Maybe next year I can plan better to coordinate one big huge expensive trip to the L48 and visit a bunch of shows, classes and quilt shops....(what the heck...I'm worth it)...besides, I'm married to a rich man so I can afford it... (at least that's what I tell people, anyway). LOL!! ;)

I'm going to the one in Richmond, VA, July 19-21.

As soon as I saw it posted, by you Cheryl, I think, I registered, along with a quilting friend.

I couldn't miss the opportunity of live training from Alex, Ricky, and Libby. I could hardly believe they were coming so close to my home (1.5 hrs away). I actually learned how to quilt by watching Simply Quilts, so this will be a real treat for me.

I love that you don't have to take a machine but rather watch (on big screens) the pros do their thing and not waste time waiting for others (including myself sometimes) to catch up or thread their machine, etc..

And I will certainly look forward to the complete instruction book that will be given to each attendee -- which means I won't have to take notes. Just sit back and watch and learn. I can handle that.

I see they'll be in Omaha (3 hours from me) in August. I have to check my calendar and talk to my friends to see if we can plan a trip over.

I'd really love to go to Escondido - I grew up not far from there in a little hamlet called Harbison Canyon (not far from Alpine). My dad used to take us on day trips in the car to Escondido. I'll bet it changed a little since then.

Vicki

Cheryl,

Yes, I'm going. In fact, there are a bunch of us quilters from the mountain town of Julian and the back country of Ramona, who will be making our way down the hill to Escondido.

We are all looking forward to the seminar. I hope to see you there.

If you have time, think about following the winding Hwy 78 past the San Diego Wild Animal Park, the orange groves (orange blossom time) and the San Pascal Battlefield up 17 miles to Ramona. We have a great LQS - The Crazy 9 Patch at 1174 Main St.

c9p.jpg

Originally posted by CherylUribe

Shana, you'll have to check the schedule for up coming seminars. They will be here in Livermore next Jan. the week after Road 2 Ca. Don't believe they've posted that one yet.

Very appealing for all the reasons you've described! And it's 3 days!

Cheryl, Thanks for the info re: the Ricky Tims' Livermore show in January 2008! Being a "west coast girl" that is definitely a "doable" trip for me (I've got lots of Alaska Airlines member miles I can use to travel). Maybe I can go to Road2CA, head up to the Bay area, visit my family in Sonoma, do some wine country tours, and when I sober up from my Napa Valley wine tours, I can attend Ricky's show in Livermore. I used to live in Novato (14 years) so I am very familiar with the SF Bay area. I LOVE SAN FRANCISCO!!!! Can do easy! And I get to see you, too! Maybe Laurie...she lives real close, in Vallejo. Cool! Thanks, honey!!

Shana

Where's the Art Center in Escondido? Wasn't one there when I lived there back in the 70's....at least I don't think there was.

I remember driving thru Ramona on the motorcycle...

And I remember being thrilled (and gaining 10 lbs!) when they put in a Marie Calanders around the corner from our house! LOL

Timi

formerly from Escondido

now in CT

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

Cheryl,

Yes, I'm going. In fact, there are a bunch of us quilters from the mountain town of Julian and the back country of Ramona, who will be making our way down the hill to Escondido.

We are all looking forward to the seminar. I hope to see you there.

If you have time, think about following the winding Hwy 78 past the San Diego Wild Animal Park, the orange groves (orange blossom time) and the San Pascal Battlefield up 17 miles to Ramona. We have a great LQS - The Crazy 9 Patch at 1174 Main St.

c9p.jpg

Or should I say "WooHoo" as Ricky would say?

Yesterday was the first day of the RTQS (Ricky Tims Quilt Seminar). I will update my blog this weekend after the seminar finishes. I promise some great photos.

16 of us made the trip down the hill to theill California Center for the Arts. It was a great first day. The seminar is divided into sessions for Ricky (7 sessions), Alex Anderson (2 sessions) and Libby Lehman (2 sessions). There are about 700 of us in a large theatre and there is a projection screen on the stage with whoever is speaking. So it is easy to see what is being covered, right down to the stitching ;)

There is a gallery with quilts, including Ricky's first one in 1991. Humble beginnings....it could have been my first quilt. LOL. Ricky is a great speaker and his enthusiasm is quite contagious. Alex Anderson gave a session, too. To me, this did not look or act like the Alex I saw on Simply Quilts. She is very animated, funny and relaxed. But the surprise was Libby Lehman. She is a hoot. Very down to earth and she kept us all ROFLOAO (Shana, did I get that right?)

Gotta run, time to leave for today's seminar.

Cheryl,

I missed you this week-end at the Ricky Tims Super Seminar. I know you weren't there... We came in 5 minutes late on Day 2 and had to walk thru the darkened theatre and grabbed the first 2 open seats we saw. I noticed Bob Purcell and Mother Superior were sitting behind us. It turned out that we were sitting in Alex and Libby's seats. Oops :o

I know that you would have been in that fun corner if you had been there.:D:D

It was a great seminar. Learned lots and tooks lots of photos. This photo from the closing ceremony looks like I had one too many wine coolers. :D :D

closing.jpg

Check out my blog for some good photos.

Linda, you are so fortunate to have attended the RT seminar. And the taping in La Veta. I have been an RT fan forever and decided I wanted to go to one of the retreats - which I was fortunate enough to get into. It was the one that started on St. Patty's day and went till the 22nd. What a week of inspiration and encouragement. I worked within my comfort zone the first day and made the statement that I was not going to return to my comfort zone for the remainder of the retreat - and I didn't. There were 8 of us there - each going a different direction. My feet are still not on the ground. I'm ready to go again.

Congratulations Shana on your new arrival.

BobbieJo

I spent the last 7 days in the hospital including baby boy's b-day. Pelvic abscess, infection. Had to have drained, if not better soon; surgery. Many antibiotics, sickening......I have some recovery time. So bummed I missed the seminar. I'm better but feel like the living dead.

Oh, Cheryl! :( I have been wondering about you this past week since you said you were in the emergency room with stomach pains!! Oh how very scary for you (and dangerous!) to have this infection in your pelvis. Not a good thing. Please, please take good care of yourself. Don't rush things too much and try to do too much. Take your time for yourself to get better 100%. Your family needs you to be healthy. Everything else can wait, and that means everything. You just focus on you. OK? Deal? Otherwise I might have to come down there and slap you upside the head! Let's not go there, OK? ;)

(((hugs)))

Shana

Cheryl,

I am so sorry to hear you have been sick. I shared a table with you in Judy Allen's class at the Duluth show last summer, you really made that class fun! I hope you are feeling better and can catch one of Ricky's seminars later in the year. I am going to try for the one in Omaha this summer. Take care of yourself and do what you are told for a change...:D

Joann

Independence, MO

You girls are so sweet. I don't normally share my suffering. Thought you may want to know why I didn't show. You know me so well, I love the light hearted harassment you give me! Hi Joann, nice to hear from you. Than goodness for digital cable, Sirius satellite radio, On the Record with Greta, AI & Sanjaya, popsicles, Motrin, and my awesome family! I am quite the queen right now even though I don't feel like one.

Oh yeah, Shana -I am one of those voting for Mr. Wonderful Sanjaya! Though I love Blake, Chris & Jordan too.

See ya......

Archived