Forum saves the day!

Wanted to share how the forum kept me from making a BIG mistake!

I received a 50/50 alpaca/cotton blend batting a few year ago, and intended to use it on a fishing quilt for my husband.  Now that I am finally ready to load the quilt on Emmeline, it occurred to me to check the forum to see if there were any tips for working with this type of batting.  Almost immediately, I read a post from someone about not finding out until it was washed in her machine that the batting she had used was hand wash only, and what a mess her quilt had become.

Now I am expecting this fishing quilt to be used at our cottage, and to be able to be washed (gently) in my front-loading washer, so I rushed to check the packaging on my batting.  Yep - hand wash only, lay flat to dry.  Now, this is a nice quilt, but it is for regular use, not high maintenance.  Time to get out the W&N.

I am so grateful that APQS runs this forum, and for the way the members share their knowledge.  I know I'm not the only one, but I thought it was time for me to say "Thank you!"

I'll add my 2cents on the forum saving the day.  About a month ago I asked for help in determining what width of batt to carry.  At Linda R's suggestion, I ended up sticking with y 90" wide, but got a couple of packages of king sized batt in cotton and wool for those extra large quilts.  I had one in mind that needed wool, and that afternoon got a new customer's quilt with the batt that she had ordered online.  The quilt measures approx. 120"x114.  I thought that the batt looked small in the box, but what the heck.  Sure enough, I pull it out, and is seems that someone at the online store was blind.  The batt measures 128"x44.5".  Well that ain't gonna work!  Emailed the customer that I could use the one I had in stock, and there you go.  Thanks to that advice, the quilt is now 1/2 quilted.  All will be well, and everyone happy.

Rita, I wondered about that, too, but wool batting is actually very light in weight.  The owner at my LQS was talking about how much he likes wool, and had me hold one package of wool and one of QD, and I was surprised at the difference.  He says wool is warm in the winter, and cool in the summer.

I used it for the first time in January and liked it pretty well, although it was puffier than I expected, and I almost ran out of backing!

As far as wool weight  compared to 80/20 weight goes, I recently bought a roll of each and decided to weight them.  The wool was half the weight of the cotton blend.  I've only used Hobbs, but their literature says that the wool washes just like the cotton or cotton/poly blend.  In fact the wool shrinks slightly less than the 80/20.  Jim

Archived