Need help with the math

I have a 7.5" border pattern stencil that the customer wants used. The border of the quilt is 64".  If I do the math I get 8.5 repeats.  This is an interlocking diamond.  It won't work to end up with 1/2 a repeat at one end because of teh corner.  How can I make it fit. Should I just spread out the stencil a bit farther apart before I pounce it?

There are several places you can fudge a stencil design to make it work.

The fudge spots are--corners, or center, or between each motif. I don't think with interlocking diamonds you'll be able to stretch out the design to fit and have it look right. If you offset the stencil to stretch it out, your diagonal lines will be off and you'll have different angles all across.

To fudge at the corners, stitch your design with a motif placed exactly in the center of the border so the far ends will match. Stop where a border cornerstone would naturally be. Enclose the cornerstone with double-line stitching and fill it with a complimentary design. 

To fudge the center, mark and stitch the diamonds from the corner towards the center. Leave a reasonable space in the center to stop the design, stitch a double line from seam to edge to enclose the area, and place a complimentary design in the resulting box. Leave enough space so this area looks like a design element and not an afterthought. Something pretty to put there there would be an echoed oval crosshatched with diamonds the same angle as the stenciled ones.

Another thought--mark the border with a diamond motif at the center and run the designs off the ends. There's no rule that says designs must exactly fit and as long as the ends match (partial design) it will look fine after binding. So one border runs off the edges and the other butts up against the first border.

I started in the center and went out from each end.  I just skooched the stencil over the tiniest bit each time, then left extra at the corners. I doesn't look too bad, but it also doesn't show up very well on the print fabric.  Seems like a whole lot of trouble for nothing, but it will at least be visible on the back.

Archived