YEAAAAAAAA....I think!!!!

For the past 20+ years our 2-car garage has been my woodworking shop.  Last year because of artheritis in my feet getting so bad I sold all of my woodworking tools.  We bought a new Aframe Camper for my retirement present and moved it into one side of the garage.  We had been paying storage for my boat for the past several years and I sold my boat this past weekend.  So I thought.....hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

Told the wife this morning that instead of getting rid of the boat storage I was going to move the camper into that storage and clean the garage out and turn it into my quilting/sewing room.  Other than the rolling of eyes all she said was FINE.  I think she will probably talk to me again later this month.

So now I have an 18' x 18' room for my quilting studio.

Pro's:

(1)  Lots more room

(2)  get my quilting Frame out of living room

(3)  Get to plan my room exactly like I want it...been looking at everybody's pictures of their rooms

Con's:

(1)  OMG...you should see what I have to get rid of

(2)  Lots and lots of work to get room ready (a)  Rip out shelves and things from walls (B)  Have to insulate the walls  © Clean sheetrock and tape and float some of it  (d)  Paint  (e)  Indoor/Outdoor Carpet (f)  Electrical

(3)  Our subdivision restricts our removing garage doors so I've got to put up with the door tracks being on the ceiling and having garage doors

(4)  Will have to use just a small section for my exercise equipment (Have to do cardio exercise 3 times a week due to heart attack)

To say I'm excited would be an under statement....now ask me a couple of weeks from now after starting all of this work and I may not be quite as excited.

David

So wonderful, David!

I came home from an APQS Road Show ten years ago after plunking down the deposit for a Millie and was measuring the dining room wall to see if it would fit. When Den found out what I was planning he emptied the "little garage"--a single-car space attached to the big garage and full of lawn-care stuff--insulated it, finished it inside with lots of lighting and outlets,and put in some windows. I have heat, A/C, TV, and carpet. I'm out of the house and out of his hair!

You're lucky you get to start almost from scratch. Have fun and don't wear yourself out!

David it will get done quicker than you think because of the excitement of your quilting room. What fun planning. I'm excited for you I love doing that kind of stuff tearing up and construction LOL. My DH came home one day and I had the walls and floor and shower out of the bathroom. He said I wasn't allowed to what home improvement shows anymore ha ha . 

My BIL converted his garage into a workroom but left the garage door in place.  You could build a temporary wall with screen/window in it  in front of the door and a ceiling.  Then the door could be raised and the window opened if you needed a good cross breeze some times.  Have a great time with your plans and put the outlets up to counter or higher level so they are easy to get at and there is no tripping on cords.

David, this is so exciting for you!  Don't forget to include a design wall in your new space.  I share my sewing (not quilting) room with my husband's exercise equipment, and used the wall space next to and behind his stuff for my design wall.

Dave enjoy setting up your work space, the more natural light you can get in the better.

I have just had to switch on a light in my sewing studio.  I am lucky I have lots of natural light. But at 8am in the morning and we are having a thunderstorm so it is dark outside. :huh:

Machine is unplugged just in case.

That is so exciting and I know how you feel.  Years ago we needed a new garage and the only way I would agree to it was if I could have an upstairs for my studio.  I had sewing and quilting stuff all over our house.  My husband finally agreed and I got an 18 foot by 30 foot room.  I am very blessed to have the space and love getting to do what I love.  I hope everything goes great while you are transforming this space.

UPDATE:

I'm still cleaning out the garage.  Can you believe it?  Nobody should own this much stuff.  I have a neighbor that is a "dumpster diver" and I laid out a bunch of stuff in the middle of the garage for him to look at and see if he wants it.  Either that or he would be going through my pile if I piled it on the sidewalk to be taken away.  Actually I have some really nice things I'm getting rid of and I knew he would want them.

Had to buy a rolling tool chest yesterday.  Wife said, "I thought you were buying a small tool box."  Told her I had plenty of small tool boxes and my tools cost way too much to let them lay around and rust.

Found out the garage has been insulated already.  Yippee.  By the time I got all of the shelves tore down had way too many holes in the sheetrock to just fix and I didn't want to have to mess with putting up sheetrock by myself so I'm going to patch over the large holes and panel over the sheetrock.  Didn't really want paneling but it will do.  Found paneling at Home Depot I'll probably get.  Started looking at indoor/outdoor carpet which I want for flooring.

My dumpster diver neighbor is also an electrician so we'll discuss the easiest way to rewire my garage with more electrical outlets. 

Wife finally woke up and said, "I didn't know you were making a room out of the garage.  You just said you were moving the quilting frame out there."  She has a tendency to forget conversations when it involves my spending money.  So I told her, "And you think I'm going to put my quilting frame and Bernina in a dusty garage and work out in the garage when the temps during the summer will be in the high 90's and in the winter in the 30's and 40's.  Shezzzz.  She finally settled down.  Seems she was worried that if I moved my sewing cabinet out of the back bedroom she wouldn't have a place to set her small fan to blow on her while she watches TV.  Give me a break.

All in all I'm getting there.

David

David,

A tip from someone that really HATES sanding sheetrock. 

T-111 siding. 

We did three walls in hubby's hobby room with sheetrock, mud & tape, sand, mud, sand, patch...omg. It took me three months to get those three little walls done. (don't ask how much of that was procrastination!)  

Then, we were at the "big orange store" one day and I spotted this stuff in the lumber dept, and asked dh (dear Hubby), "what is that?"...it was paneling, primered, looks like wood? He said, "Tee one-eleven siding. Like the stuff on the side of your mom's house."  I told him, "You know what I'm thinkin'?...."

It's now the walls in his hobby room.

It's tongue and groove. The walls were framed already.  It was easy to cut with a circular saw, maybe you'll be lucky and they'll fit, but we had to cut 6" off each one because the basement walls aren't full height. He cut around the outlet boxes with a little stab saw. Put it up with a little pneumatic pinner, but little panel nails would work, too.  The previous three walls took three months, these three, bigger walls took a weekend, and most of that was moving his tool bench and work tables, and re-arranging his 'stuff'.  He's a sparky, so we put in outlets everywhere, some counter height and some at regular wall height. 

I even offered to paint it for him!  It's primer grey, but he said the grey matched the cabinets we salvaged, so he likes it just fine the way it is.  The panels are easy to pin into, ie, thumbtacks and things like design walls. 

I'm not sure how it would compare price-wise to the plain wall paneling, but that stuff is really homely, (imho...looks like the old mobile home I grew up in! ug!)  And, it's got to have some insulating qualities, because it's thicker than the paneling. 

Hope this helps.  

Sammi 

Thanks everybody for your replies and suggestions.  I'm still in the getting rid of stage but getting there.  I did do a little floating over some small holes in a very small space between the washer and freezer a few minutes ago.  I'll probably go ahead and repair the large holes in the wall before I do anything permanent.  I don't like the idea of big gaping holes in my wall even if I can't see them.

Still don't have my mind made completely up about what to do with the walls...lots of decisions left.  My neighbor came and took some of my stuff today and wanted to pay me but I refused.  He said he would help me with the electrical part then.  Yipee.

I'm like a turtle....slow but sure.

David

If your garage door doesn't already have a row of windows at the top then see whether that's in the budget or not. It'll make a huge difference in letting a bit of the outdoors inside. Sounds like you're having fun clearing it out. Soon you'll get to the really fun stage of planning out your room layout. Pictures please. Before, during and afters are always great. 

Update on New Quilting Room:

I'm usually not right much but this time I was.  I'm sick of remodeling.  I've got paint and joint compound all over me....BUT....just put the paneling up on the last wall.  Ceiling is painted.  Gotta insulate the two garage doors tomorrow.  Then start shopping for carpet.

Hoping to get the carpet in by the end of the weekend and the only remaining thing to do is hook up a window air conditioner.  Then move in and arrange stuff.  I do still have to put up molding around the doors and ceiling but not in a big hurry to do that.  I need to get all the major things done and moved in before it starts getting too hot.  I can do all the trim work in about a day.  I may go ahead and do that before moving in.  So hopefully will be moved in by the end of next week if all goes well.

David

I've been working pretty much nonstop since I started except for Sunday.  Things have gone pretty smooth except for yesterday.  It was a booger but got through it. Hopefully everything else will go smoothly.

David

Archived