No reason to watch HGTV any longer

Demographics say that there has been a 30% increase in the number of quilters in the past few years. Amazing that HGTV didn't do more research to know that the baby boomers are going to be doing more quilting. I just started quilting in 2003 because my career commitments were letting up. SQ was my mainstay for the past four years. Hey, maybe Alex already taught us nearly everything. So are we now experts ourselves? It's because of that program that we got to meet quilt artists and see their techniques.

I was disappointed that The Quilt Show seemed more like a talk show. The screen size was small, the image jerky, the colored panel draperies not my style, ....... Since I joined their membership and paid money, I was under the impression that the broadcast would be free of ads. Alex teased us with her 50th Birthday quilt and then didn't show it. Keep it off the air if it's private. Let's hope that Alex calms down a bit and the content of the show increases with more quilting profiles. Since this is a world wide offering, I was hoping to have a foreign segment where we learn quilting news from other countries. I'm looking to the show for inspiration and information.

Vicki

I quit watching the Quilt Show at the first commercial. That was not only disappointing, it's downright annoying. Amazing if they can get viewers to pay money to watch commercials! And on a small screen at that.

It would be nice if SQ were made available on DVDs, by season, WITHOUT commercials. In the meantime, or rather, instead, I'm really enjoying buying and viewing quilting DVDs on my big TV screen. <g> Watching video on a small computer screen (or an iPod!!!) is not for me. My latest DVD purchase is Renae's Amazing Ways to Use Circles and Rays. There is so much information in this one about marking, freehanding, and quilting with Renae's arcs. I can't wait to try her techniques. And I'm looking forward to her next DVD. I also love Karen McT's DVDs. I have much more to say but Jack wants to walk... and Jack trumps chat!

Okay, back from our walk, and wow, I just love that we can edit our posts, so I don't have to start another to finish what I was attempting to say with Jack's paw on the keyboard...

Also like Ricky Tims' Grand Finale DVD. Makes me want a George. :) Fortuantely I'm out of room. And money! I just know I like the DVD format for quilting programs and wonder if others have any recommendations along those lines.

Bonnie Browning was on DIY's SQ episode today, showing how to make the Simply Quilts quilt. I've always loved that quilt. Perhaps I'll make it as my farewell to SQ. It was a wonderful show.

Gosh you guys, I feel the same way too, ditto here about losing Alex Anderson on tv, she was the best!

I know Fons and Porter sell their episodes on DVD through their website. I can vouch that all the Karen McTavish DVD's are awesome!

A few different thoughts/perspectives......

To get a really nice viewing quality on your computer monitor, it really helps alot if you invest in a nice video card. Another helpful thing is a high speed cable to connect your monitor to your computer.

I'm sorry to say, I'll be opinionated here, all the advertising on QNN is way over the top. Their business model is advertiser-centric, not consumer-centric, and unfortunately, they have not managed to strike a balance between consumer and advertiser needs, so the whole thing is driven by advertisers with tons of ads, way too many. There are no consumer friendly features on that site. Ok, I have one nice thing to say, I love Eleanor Burns no matter where I see here, she taught me how to make my first quilt and absolutely made my Christmas one year when I saw her Bear Paw Ranch program on cable once.)

The new Ricky Tims/Alex Anderson format....I have a wait and see attitude. I've already wrote in and let them know that I already feel overwhelmed by all the spinning, whirling, shocking green and yellow flashing ads on their home page. Whoever designed their site needs to get up to speed on current thinking about how to tastefully advertise to consumers without the "shock and awe" method of ad bombardment. I understand their need to attract advertisers and they have all the big brands, but what about the need to embed those ads in a way that is tastefully integrated into the site content so it represents a place of beauty that inspires us rather than makes us want to abandon the site after being there for a few minutes?

I have Ricky Tim's Grand Finale DVD and it covers so much territory, I'm just happy to learn from that and forgo the online show. I don't want to support their advertising model on principle no matter how good the show might be. Sorry for being such a party pooper!

Originally posted by catsigler

Bonnie Browning was on DIY's SQ episode today, showing how to make the Simply Quilts quilt. I've always loved that quilt. Perhaps I'll make it as my farewell to SQ. It was a wonderful show.

Cathy, if you have the new EQ6, there is a built-in layout for this quilt. I have been drawing it out for the last year using templates from the Twisted Log Cabin book - have it colored but haven't figured out how to separate the blocks. Now I don't have to. I just need to go in and make it the size I want, color it with fabrics, and print out the foundation pieces and start sewing. I can't wait to get started, but I have about 5 projects I have to finish before I can start:(

I was so excited to see this in the new EQ6.:D

Thanks for the heads up, Sue. I do have EQ6! And too many projects to finish before I start another, although that won't stop me from starting one on the 14th because I signed up for Vicki B's stack and whack class. But... I can see this quilt done in cherrywood hand dyes. :) Wee!

Archived