How perfect does it have to be...( a bit of a rant)

I find when I wind the thread guides in the opposite direction the thread comes off the cone (i.e. clockwise or counter clockwise) , I have less kinks and tension runs beautifully.

I loved the samples of Magnifico the customers were getting with their new machines and I did try it.  For 3 hours . . . . .and decided I was not going to carry that brand.  I had a lot of fraying.  Changed needles, my second machine was brand new at that time, so the thread guides were brand new, no grooves, etc.  Played with tension, and decided this brand wasn't for me.

You have that piece of batting in the first thread guide above the cone?  Such a sophisticated fix to bouncing thread.

I am a fan of magna glides, I also usually use an 80/20 batt.  A very flat batt with give you more challenges, so usually a 100% cotton batt is flat and can pose more challenges.  If you wind your own, (and I do with silk) the tension should result in a firmly wound bobbin.  No 'squishiness' when you press on the the wound thread.

Direction of stitches, speed, also affect the quality of your stitch.  

Lots to learn, but I have made the choice to work with about 4 types of thread and don't give my customer choices if they want a different thread.  I just know what runs on my machine the best to give them the best stitch quality.

I always go back to Dawn's article on tension . . . can't bang that drum enough!

Joanne Flamand

APQS Sales and Education - Canada

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

Now and t6hen  I have what looks to be a chain stitch.  Still don't know what the cause is.  Will

pay more attention and see if any of these solutions help.

I quilt a lot of QoV, and they Can  Not have anything but all cotton batting in them, so that could

be at least part of it.

Penny hates Sew Fine. Magna glides are not her favs either.

So, I think all machines are just a WEE bit diff.

Just on a note here regarding So Fine...you know I tend to have better looking stitches with shinier (slippery) thread.  Maybe that's user error and I'm just not experienced enough with so fine...but I tend to go for Bottom Line or Bobbin Line versus So Fine...

Now and t6hen  I have what looks to be a chain stitch.  Still don't know what the cause is.  Will

pay more attention and see if any of these solutions help.

I quilt a lot of QoV, and they Can  Not have anything but all cotton batting in them, so that could

be at least part of it.

Penny hates Sew Fine. Magna glides are not her favs either.

So, I think all machines are just a WEE bit diff.

I have the opposite experience. Magnifico runs perfectly on my Millie, Glide breaks frequently. I rarely use cotton or blend batting. I almost always use magnetic bobbin. The loops on the back, when I get them, are always caused by either a problem in upper thread path, or timing being off..usually just the needle depth needing adjustment because I have hit a ruler. The height of the hopping foot can also cause weird stitches. Flatlining of my bobbin thread is almost always caused by lint under the little piece where you make bobbin adjustments. Use dental floss..the tape kind..to clean out the bobbin assembly. Although I always use WD 40 and an air compressor, I always get some lint out when I do this. Somebody suggested turning the cone upside down to change the direction of the feed. Haven't tried that. I would start by adjusting your needle bar depth. Hitting a thick seam can knock it out of whack a hair..enough to be a big problem going right to left.

Archived