Hartley Vertical Spool Holder

My Hubby bought me a vertical spool holder from a friend on the forums (thanks again Tami!) - does anyone here have it?  I wanted to install it tonight and wondering if there is a "sweet" spot for good tension.  Seems if I put it too close to the front it might throw it off - or am I being overly cautious?  There are only a few threads on the forums about this and I'd love to hear from anyone who has one.  Also - is the adhesive enough to attach it?  Or should I try screwing it down?  I'm afraid of heavy cones falling on me while I sew!  

I have the vertical spool holder - the one that stands upright on top of your machine so that you can load cones of thread from the front of the machine rather than the back.  :)

http://shop.apqs.com/Hartley-Vertical-Cone-Holder_p_121.html

It says on my instructions "spool" holder but it's actually a cone holder!  LOL

Valerie, do you have the Horizontal Spool Holder or the Vertical Cone Holder?  They're two entirely different things, hold different kinds of threads and are mounted in different spots.

Yes, that's definitely for "cones" rather than "spools"!!  Most users mount the Vertical Cone Holder just behind the Laser Post on the top of their Millie.  It will be interesting to see if those who use this regularly chime in with their "sweet spot" placement.

I used mine for a long time before I had Quilt Path installed. I really liked having it up front, handy when working from the front especially when changing threads on a quilt. It was behind the front laser post. After a few years the sticky tape didn't hold any more. Had to clean the remaining goo off before using fresh heavy double sided tape. If the thread holder wasn't slanting forward it would probably hold a lot longer.

16314662764_b72b20d4fd.jpg11071716_961249213888332_5442179883374581088_n by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

Ok so I went ahead and installed it!  Hopefully this is the right place - I still look forward to seeing what others have to say.  The adhesive seems to be more secure than I thought it might be.  I like that they give you screws but I removed the laser pin and the hole was too big for the screws on the cone holder...so I ended up just putting it back and moving the holder back farther a little bit with the adhesive.  I'm afraid to drill into the top of my machine!!  But Bonnie you said you used double sided tape so maybe I'll just secure it with some pretty fancy duct tape or something to make sure it's good and down.  I tried wiggling it though and it feels pretty tight.  I bet the vibration might loosen it up over time though...

Valerie, both the Spool Holder and the Cone Holder are mounted with double-stick adhesive - the screws attach the fixture to its metal base.  That way you can remove the holder and leave the metal base still attached.

Valerie, on the instructions for the Horizontal Spool Holder, you're given the choice of using both base plates, along with adhesives, or just the single plate, with the screws.  It does say, "This will require drilling and tapping the mounting area on your machine."  I don't want to drill into my pretty Millie, so I use the adhesives - they're usually more than enough.

Me either Barb!  I was afraid to put a hole in the machine!  LOL  So I did end up using the adhesive...but it sure does seem a long stronger than I thought it would be.  Plus it's not like the cones of thread are all that heavy either.  I am going to pick up some tape just for added security when I head out.  Thank you so much for all your help!

Valerie I use my vertical spool holder for everything. Small large mono etc. I have not used the back thread stands for over three years. If I am using a small spool I sit it t on n top b of another spool so that the thread coming b of c the top doesn't get caught on b the centre pin. Mine is mounted about 3 inches behind v the c ladder post.

Been using my vertical cone holder for a few days now - thought I might want to use a thread net with it but I found the thread net added a LOT of tension - something it doesn't do from the back so much.  So I took it off...I'm stitching slowly but all seems to be going well.  Tension seems good.  

Do any of you put a little batting in the thread guide on the cone holder thread guide like so many do from the back?  I would like just a tad more stability without adding a ton of extra tension as that thread comes off the cone...using Bottom Line right now in top and bobbin and it just looks like it's flying all over the place but it does tame down as it comes down through the guides.  

Valerie,

I do put a wad of batting on that first loop.  I also find I use a thread net for all polyester threads BUT I have found the best thread net to be a piece of Hugo's Amazing tape  Very loosely wound around the Cone/spool  it stops the thread from whipping out as it unspools and doesn't catch the thread like a net did.

Now that I am back near my machine I can say that there is only 2 1/4" gap between the laser post and the base of my Thread stand.

I have also turned the top loop so it is directly over the top of the cone of thread ( that was how we were advised to have the loop at the back of the machine) rather than to the front like your picture.  Then with the wad of batting my thread goes directly down to the first hole of the three hole guide.

• 1 year later...

Busy Quilting (Lyn), you mentioned in an earlier post here that you use your vertical cone holder for everything.  I have a few spools that I need to use, particularly Rainbows thread.  The thread is snagging on apparently nothing at all and then the thread breaks.  I can't figure out what the thread is snagging on and am ready to resort to the horizontal spool holder, which I haven't installed on my new Millie.  Do you have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.,

Bobbie Z

Archived