Dear George

Wow!! I'm feelin' great! My head is swelling, I can feel it!! Thanks so much for the kind words, Joann and Shana ( I do too remember you) and big congratulations to you, Joann on your Mid-Atlantic win. Now, I'm going to go and see if they've posted pictures. Speaking of which, I'm going to try. Joann, if I can do it, you can, too!

It's really nice to know that George is doing what I knew he could!

Best Regards to you all,

Claudia Myers

post--13461897975919_thumb.jpg

I just regestered, so I could post a message on this BEAUTIFUL quilt. I do not know what to say, I love it.

I am really hoping to buy a long arm machine next month with at the Paducah Quilt show. Right now "George" is very near the top of the list.

This quilt moved it up.... even futher. just WOW.

I have a question about George. I love the throat size, sure beats the 7 inches on my DSM. And of course, it doesn't take up 14 feet of space. That's a plus. George's table looks very roomy.

Since you move the quilt for George, vice move the machine head like on a longarm, do you still pin quilts for George? I see the ads and I don't see any pins. What do George owners do to keep the sandwich together until it is quilted? Spray on adhesive?

Mary Beth,

I just went to your pictures. Beautiful... what machine do you use??

I have so many questions...

Thank you,

Jill

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I would say...I'm buying a George...but I don't think the machine was the only thing behind this beauty...WOW!! Great job. Keep posting pictures.

Hi Claudia ~

Thank you so much for taking the time to learn how to post pictures! I know I appreciate your time....and I'm quite sure other George owners, soon-to-be George owners and quilters who just appreciate beautiful work appreciate it as well.

What can I say.....Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous!

Definitely an inspiration!

I promise to continue practicing, practicing and then practice a little bit more.

I look forward to meeting you at the Quilt Festival in Chicago.

Lori

Oh, Claudia - that piece is incredible! I will save this one just to go back and look at it again and again. You are an inspiration!

I will miss Paducah this year - youngest daughter in Virginia is having her firstborn, and I am leaving next week to play grandma for a few weeks. I probably will still be changing diapers (on the baby, that is!) for most of the month of April, so I did not put Paducah on the agenda. It will be the first miss in many years. We are planning another trip during MQS - two major shows off my calendar this year, and one of them right here in Kansas City!

This daughter always kids me about loving quilting more than I love her -- well, almost... I guess 2007 proves her wrong about that. Is this something I can hold over her head?

Just so you know - it was your work that convinced me to buy George - and it was the smartest purchase I have made. A friend asked me this week if I liked quilting on George as much as my Millennium - Loved that long arm, but I have to admit I love George more. Guess it is just the feel of that fabric and George is such a doll!

Keep posting pics - I can't get enough!

Joann

Independence, MO

Linda - to answer your pinning question - I do pin baste my quilts. DH built a large worktable for me at the perfect height to work on. I starch the backing when I iron it and pin about a small hand space apart. I have not had any problem with puckers. A lot of quilters use the basting spray or fusible batting. I think that would work well with small projects, but I don't see it very feasible for large quilts. I'm sure there are many who have had success with that. I find that it takes about 30% longer to pin baste a quilt than it did to pin it to my Millennium rollers. Not too bad. The trick is a table to clip the backing to at the right height (thanks, DH)

Joann

Claudia - Very nice!! That is just beautiful and awesome! Love the color

combos and all of the different threads you used..... again VERY nice!!:D

Thanks for posting the photo and I look forward to seeing much more from

you and George..... Keep them coming!

WOW!!!! What a gorgeous quilt. I started to buy the George when he first came out. I would have had to wait several weeks. Before the several weeks was up, I changed my mind and got Millie instead.

Those stitches are wonderful!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm saving that picture too. Where do I go to see MORE pictures???

Hugs, Joy

Jill,

Thank you for looking at my webshots. I have this slight (huge) complex about my quilting...I am very critical and want it to look at least perfect...It is a real confidence builder when I hear someone say it looks good....thank you, thank you. Oh, I have a Millennium.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth, I too have visited your webshots site (several times) to admire your beautiful work. So, can I add a dollop of sweet whipped cream on top of Jill's compliments, too? You do beautiful work. All of you here on this chat, who share your work and advice,,,all of you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you!

(((HUGS)))

Shana,

I swear you are bringing tears to my eyes...:P Thank you!

Can't wait for you to be up and running...you are already about to pass us all and you haven't even seen your machine yet. You are wise beyond your years.

There are such great quilters on this site, I just love it!!

WOW! Claudia, beautiful work. O.K., so now not only am I a Sherry Wannabe but a Claudia Wannabe! How many Wannabe's can a Wannabe Be?:P

Mary Beth, I'm like you, not big on the confidence factor. Tend to be very critical of my own work and do alot of self doubting. Is that a character flaw? Always been that way and at this late stage in my life I'm doubting that I'll change. I've been to your webshots and your work is beautiful so keep up the good work.

You all are so nice! I don't know what to say, but loved hearing that you like George's and my work. Even from the other side of the world!Thank you so much!!

To add to the question about basting---I either spray baste or use Hobbs fusible---even for queen-sized quilts. In Duluth, MN, I can't take the quilt outside to spray baste more than two months out of the year (some would say two weeks):P so I generally do the fusible. I pin all four sides of the backing up on my foamcore design wall, put the fusible in the dryer on high for 8 minutes, (really) pin it on top of the back, pin the quilt top onto that, move the pins so that the sandwich is pinned together on all four sides, but not to the wall, anymore, take it to the ironing board, press it on the front, the back and on the front again and trim the backing and batting about 2 inches away from the top edge all the way around. I like the fusible because you can start quilting anyplace on the quilt, not just in the center, as you have to do with pin basting. I don't always (read ever) know what I'm going to quilt over the whole quilt.

Regards,

Claudia

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, I want a LA so BAD!!! I usually make 48 in to queen sz quilts and it's difficult holding the big ones onmy lap while I quilt on my Viking SE.

I'm making a king Wedding Ring Star, a Judy Niemyer design, and am hating the idea of sending it out to be quilted. It's for my son and his wife and I want to do it all myself. I've done a little quilting on a LA at several shows and loved it. Since I have quilted all of my traditional and art quilts it felt very natural using the LA.

Does anyone know of a shop within 100 miles of Akron, OH where I could rent time to do my quilt when it's ready? There's a shop in Kalispell, MT that I could rent from but that's a little far to travel!:)

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I had the awesome opportunity to meet Claudia last October in Iowa at the APQS studio. Even better, being able to watch her work with George. What an artist. I had to be careful not to drool, wouldn't look cool. This chance was the icing on the cake. I took Marilyn Badger's class and Claudia was there also, way cool. I love showing their quilts to people and telling them about the training that I received, good PR.

Thanks Claudia for being such an inspriation.

Archived