A table question for the dealers

I know this is probably in the wrong place, but I wanted it to be seen.

I think I want to upgrade the table from my Lenni, if it is possible.  My Lenni has the vertical wheel system on the old black rail table, rather than the cool horizontal wheel system the new ones have.

What would a new table cost?  Could I make the changes to the machine by myself, or would somebody need to come and install it? 

I have $1000 on my Sewing and More card. Would that be enough to buy a new table?  And could it be used to finance a table?

Eventually I want to upgrade to a Millie, but financially we can't do that right now because of all the medical bills we are incurring.  So, fixing up Lenni is the best option I have.

Teresa, I am not a dealer but I have a lenni.  I was not aware that lenni could go on any other table but a bliss table.  I have not kept up with any up grades, if there are any, because I was informed that lenni would not be capable of up grades. 

I don't have any issues with mine except the brakes even after paying $40 for a new brake which I believe comes standard on all other models, including lenni now. The Velcro inside the brake keeps slipping. Also, when I first bought lenni I wanted a 12 ft table.  I was told it only came in 10 ft.  When bliss came out it seems apqs even stopped making the standard table for lenni.  So the way I see it, lenni as it was first made, which mine is( 2008), is basically an old obsolete, has been at 8, really as far back as 5.  Good luck in your search for improving your machine.

Teresa

I inquired a couple of years ago about a complete Bliss table.  At that time I was quoted about five thousand.  Recently someone asked about getting a Lucey with the deluxe table and was told two thousand more.  Using that logic I expect you are somewhere in the two to three thousand dollar range plus axles and maybe encoders for your head.  It may be a better deal to save up a little more and trade or sell your Lenni and buy a certified pre owned machine.  Maybe a dealer will chime in.

Nigel

Janice,

The velcro on my Lucey kept slipping also.....I peeled it off....cleaned the roller well with goo-B-Gone (sp?)...then with rubbing alcohol and replaced the velcro..this may need to done periodically ......but I have found that if I release the brake completely whenever I roll or tighten the quilt...it does stay in place much better....I have had to re-tighten the brake screw also especially if I have a large quilt mostly on the take-up roller if it starts to slip....I keep my Allen wrench handy for that...Lin

Sewingpup, yes, I do those same things.  It seems to me that I shouldn't have to do this.  I wonder what other brands use and if they have this problem.  Overall I have to say that I am very satisfied with lenni except for table size( only because it limits the size quilt I can do) and the brake, which looks like it will be an on going issue for lenni's life. :(

I don't know what the Lenni brakes look like.  However, I built a set of brakes to replace the cogs on my Ult 2 table a few years back.  I first tried Velcro as a brake "lining", but found it to be unsatisfactory.  I finally settled on the self stick stuff they put on the bottom of bath tubs to eliminate slips in the tub.  It has worked well for me.   I did that about three years ago, and have only had to replace the "linings" of the backing roller since.  My local lumber yard stocks it in one inch widths, and sells it by the foot.

Teresa:  I'm convinced the problems you are having with your Lenni can be solved with a set of good wheels.  Try them first.  Jim

Jim, I have edgeriders on the machine. There is no way to change the carriage wheels and have them fit on the table.  There are no other wheels available; I guess because the Lenni black table is obsolete as Janice stated.  At least I know I'm not the only one having trouble and wishing for an upgrade

Teresa, you are the having problems with your wheels?  I thought edgeriders were an upgrade(the only upgrade for lenni). I have the wheels that were standard for lenni and have no complaints.  I wonder if apqs will be stocking these in the future for the older lennis.  I guess when I can't get even basic replacement parts I'll move on to some other machine.  And as well as I like lenni and apqs service overall, it probably won't be apqs for that reason.  What we need is someone, like Jim, who has made their own upgrades.  I'm going to look for the sticky stuff he mentioned.  I feel a sticky issue coming up soon. 

Jim, do you have a picture of the brake you made?

Yes, I think that is your problem also.  I believe you have to have the right carriage.  Can you switch back to regular wheels until you can get the right carriage?  Lenni is not suppose to be this problematic; it is suppose to be a simpler version of the millie, and it is.  Jeanne Pedersen on this forum has them on one of the very first lenni's and I believe she is very happy with them.

When I first got my Lucey, I let a friend who owns a sewing machine shop use it.....she would tightened the quilt sandwich by grabbing the roller and giving it a twist...I think that is what you do with some machines that have the clog type brakes?...anyway...it was at the end of her quilt that I first had the problem with the velcro on the brakes coming off...and it wouldn't stay on until I did that cleaning of the roller....and now I make sure I do not try and turn the roller anyway without releasing the brake first...and that seems to have worked...if I have a big quilt on it sometimes near the end...the roller will start to slip and then I just tighten up the brake again with my wrench....is this what the rest of you do?  Just what to know if I got this right......Lin

Teresa:   I told you how to deal with the carriage wheels.  Vern Reeves' Easy Glide.

Janice:  The non-slip material is black in color, and a rough texture.  Just ask someone at your local home improvement store.  Most stores should have it in stock.  I think it is also used on stair treads so you might also identify it as such.  Jim

Teresa, I have the same black steel table with my Lenni but I have the complete edgerider

carriage and wheels which I highly recommend. I think it cost $500 about three years ago. The bliss table was $4000 at that time for Lenni. (Plus shipping and vat to the uk, so I went for the carriage) I hope that they are still available to buy.

I did talk to them about a Lenni carriage, but since my actual table had damage we are afraid it will still not solve the problem.  It is a $500 maybe, just like the $90 wheels that didn't help and now the $175 wheels that might or might not help.  Husband is tired of sinking more and more money into maybe fixes.  Really needing to purchase a new table.  Looking for somebody getting rid of one, or finding out about a Bliss table and carriage upgrade.

The rails got dented up in transport.  My husband tried turning them 90 degrees, but the carriage still doesn't roll smoothly on the table. It hits a bad spot and it's like a dip in the road. The carriage momentarily stops, then jerks out of line before starting going again.

Theresa, when I bought my Lenni in 2009 (brand new) it came with the black steel table that you have.  I too found that there were a couple spots where the wheels would not run smoothly over them.  My husband tried different things to see if he could smooth it out but it still was a problem.  When APQS introduced the new tables with Bliss, we decided to spend the money and upgrade.  It cost us $4,000 to do this, but in my opinion, it was worth every penny!  I love my Lenni so wasn't looking to change machines, I just wanted a table that worked without any "hitches".  I think that was in 2010 when I upgraded (maybe 2011......time flies....)  Anyway, it really made a big difference and if a person can afford it, I would highly recommend it.  Lenni and I have been making "beautiful music" together ever since.   :wub:

I got my Lenni in some of the first to come out.  I found someone to replace the wheels with verticle edgeriders on carriage and

table.  Look for independent quilter makers for the ER set up.  I got mine from The Quilting Solution.

One large coimpany, maybe edge rider themselves were going to make Lenni upgrades if enough people would buy.

I guess those who said they wanted them forgot they wanted them when the time came to order, so don't think that went

through.    I'm  not sure!

I feel your pain Teresa.  I've bought my Nolting 18" with IS2k back in 2004 and put it on my old machine's frame, a Nustyle.  I was content for awhile, but just having lots of the issues that you are having.  One little microscopic nic in my track is like hitting a crater.  Add to the fact that I'm on a table that really isn't for my machine...A Nolting dealer a couple hours away came across a used 11' foot Nolting commercial frame and I decided to go for it.  He's coming next week to set it up.  If you like your machine, keep looking...there are used frames out there and you can save at least a little bit of money; they are so costly.  I know you've been struggling with this, I've been reading every time you post as I have been struggling with the same issues.

Have you tried to repair the dent? Wood workers and auto-body technicians have products that when applied and cured correctly are much harder than your aluminum rails. It would require careful handling and some sanding, but maybe try something on the end of the rails to see how it works. Here's what Dennis says might work.   http://www.uschem.com/index.cfm?page=productDetail&id=54

Archived