Quit in frustration....

I have to say I have been a chicken for a very long time and only use my So Fine or Omni  threads for the top  and for the bobbins I try to rely on the pre-wound magnetic bobbins although I have wound my own.  I get great tension without having to touch my machine.  Well, I did a quilt yesterday  and all was fine, but today I loaded another quilt and this time I put on King Tut only because I had it and I needed that color (navy).  I am using (or should I say I am trying to use) a golden prewound magnetic bobbin by Fil-Tec and my top  thread keeps breaking after a couple inches.  Ok, so I have loosened the tension numerous times to the point that I think the tension wheel is going to fall off.  I have changed my #15 needle to a #18 (is that the right direction?).  I can see just a little pokey of gold thru to the top.  What am I doing wrong.  I probably will never get my tension back to what it was even if I change my thread back to what I was using....and this is why I didn't want to monkey around with it.    :(

You might need to go even larger on the needle to accommodate the heavier cotton thread. That may make a huge difference. And if you have Sewer's Aid, slather it on the cone of King Tut - it may be dried out and a little brittle.

First.....look on the bottom of the king tut cone and it will tell you the size needle to use with a home machine and longarm. The first needle was to small. It is hard to get the right balence when using two colors if threads but it can be done. If you don't feel that your top can be loosen any more tighten your bobbin case just a fraction. Is your batting thin? The thicker your batting the easier it is to adjust. Don't be afraid. That is what I love about my machine. When first adjusting for different threads I wrote notes on how the center looked on the tension knob. ( three threads back or sticking out) when going back to neutral I will have the screw and knob about even.

Good luck!

Personally, I never could get King Tut to work in my Millennium.   I used it all the time in my Handi Quilter, but the Millie doesn't like it at all.   I recently tried it again since I have had my machine a few years, but still no luck.  I love the King Tut thread, too.  I know others who also have the Millennium and get along fine..........????

With needles, the bigger the number, the bigger the needle.  (It's the opposite of thread.)  Superior recommends a #18 (MR 4.0) for King Tut.

I just used KT top and bottom for a quilt for my hubby.  I was nervous, because I had seen that others have had issues, but I used Sewer's Aid on the cone before winding the bobbins, so I had it on both top and bottom, made sure I used my Towa gauge for every bobbin, and didn't really have any trouble.

Tension issues are sooo frustrating.  Good luck!

Today I wish I drank, it would not help my tension issues (thread and body) but I might not care as much.

Earlier this month I did a quilt with Signature which I may never do again. I have a separate bobbin for it but had to play with the top tension too much and the tension was never good. Then, did a quilt with King Tut, better. Then, two with my favorite So Fine.

Started a quilt last night with So Fine and tension issues. Fine for awhile, then an inch or so of railroad tracks then fine. I usually don't see the tracks until I roll. I test and test, think it is ok and find it isn't.

Today I had a new issue with the thread coming out of the check spring. This made me think I adjusted the top tension to loose. Now I am trying to adjust it back to where I thought the top tension should be and adjust the bobbin tension. The stitching looked good but then I got eyelashes on top.

That drink is looking better all the time. Meanwhile, I have a quilt half done and waiting. I am using a Circle Lord Swirls template and will not be able to align the pattern to correct the inches here and there that are too off.

Any ideas why it keeps going off during a row of sewing?

Also, I have a "M" size bobbin. At Sew Expo I saw Superior Threads had a Towa gauge but only for a L bobbin. Does it come size for M?

• 3 weeks later...

No one has mentioned this but maybe change the path on that 3hole guide - maybe a down (1st hole) and up (last hole)  to have a bit loose tension?   

sounds like a nightmare....sorry you're going through this!  Especially when you had that 'sweet spot' with your other thread.  :-/

Tension - it is the most frustrating!  Whenever I use cotton thread, and I don't use it often, I slather on the Sewer's Aid to the cone.  I also remove the little piece of batt that I keep in the top thread guide.  I've tried King Tut in my machine, and have not had a lot of luck with it . . . not much help, I know, but we've all been there.  Good luck as you perservere . . .

Archived