"Our" MQX Blue Ribbon Winner!!

Valerie:

Thank you for sharing how long you spent quilting the top.  One Hundred hours, I had guessed 150+ hours since it was all hand done with no computer aid.  Again, a gorgeous work of art.  Thank you for sharing.

I was not trying to get an actual price from you, but was primarily wondering if some piecers would actually spend 2 to 3 grand to have a top quilted professionally.  Claudia shared they were few and far between.  Though if you only got two or three of these type quilting jobs a month, it would not be all that bad.  As you said, some will, while others will try to nickel and dime you for a lower cost on a $100 quilting E2E job.  It is true, your time, skill, and expertise are valuable.  It makes folks wonder how a quilt can valued at thousands of dollars.  It is only when they learn that it took 150 hours to piece, 200 hours to quilt it, plus throw in the fabric, they understand the total cost.  Some just see a blanket, while others can actually see the art and workmanship that went into a work of beauty as yours.  

That is exactly why my first quilting instructor told me to never give a quilt to anyone that will not respect the fabric.  She told us how she gave a family member a quilt valued at over $5000.  It was about a year later when she visited with them, that she saw the quilt was being used as a blanket in the dog's crate.  It had been rather destroyed by the dog. They did not understand what they had wasted, and she did not tell them.  Though she resolved to never again give a quilt as a gift to anyone that did not know the true value and meaning of this type of gift.  

Congratulations on the Blue Ribbon on your lovely quilting.  It is something we should all strive to achieve.  As long as there are not an "ugliest quilt" category, all the judges can say is how to improve ones quilting.  Though if there were a category of this type at shows, one could always say they won a ribbon.  Just leave out why it won, when you tell the story, and bask in the glory of "ribboning" in a quilt show.  

Cagey 

Cagey - there may be 150 hours in the quilting, to be quite honest I didn't keep track and I just don't know!  LOL

I imagine you are correct, most people do not have $3,000 in their budget for quilting...I think this has a lot to do with why show quilts are so special - and not just everyone can bang them out - or pay for one to be created.  :)

I can tell you this though - I envy Barbara's persistence, I could never and will never ever have the patience to make a quilt on my own with THIS much applique!!!  LOL!

Archived