MQS in Cedar Rapids

I can't go this year, but I sure hope to get there next year...........My daughter will be moving to Marion, Iowa, so I can go stay with her and visit the show more often..........I've made it to the Des Moines show every year and it is always fun, but MQS would be something different.   

This year I will be recovering from a hysterectomy, so my summer will be laid back and slow.   Since I only quilt for myself and a few friends, I have caught up on those long arm projects and have plenty of piecing projects to work on while I recuperate.    I'll be ready to fire up Millie again later this summer when the "no lifting over 15#" ban is over.

I'm about 1 1/2 west of you Jennifer so I'm about 4 1/2 away I guess. I'm not sure how I'm going to work it yet but Friday is the only day I can go and I have to come back same day. Darn kids are in so many school events lol. I don't want to miss kid's or quilt events. I've never been to MQS yet.

I'm going -- have registered for some classes and reserved accommodation.  I'm really looking forward to it, as I haven't been there since it was in Springfield some years ago, when I was just starting long-arming.  The two years I went were the first -- and probably the best -- shows I've attended.  Living so far west, I have gone to all the Innovations (now defunct) Tacoma shows and two MQXs (Portland OR). Aside from learning a lot, I find that I feed off others' enthusiasm and come back home rarin' to go!

Teacher Angel Alert! A really cost efficient way to get a free class is to volunteer to be a Teacher's Angel. If you register for 2 classes you can TA for 1 class, register for 4 classes and you can TA 2 classes. All a TA does is arrive 30 minutes early for the class to take attendance for the teacher and sometimes help set up a little. You help hold samples or run errands for the teacher. The teacher usually gives you a class hand out. You get to see and hear the whole class for free and hob nob with national quilting teachers. I don't know if they have any spots left or not, but I sure have a great time doing it. Sometimes the teacher even gives you a little gift.

o2b Quilting and I are going and we're bringing two longarming friends with us!  We will arrive on Wednesday before noon (3 1/2 hr drive for us) and will be staying until sometime on Saturday.  I am signed up for 4 classes, plus am a Teacher's Angel for 2.  I also have a quilt entered in the show.

It's going to be so much fun and we're so glad that it is back in a reasonable driving distance for us to attend! It would be fun to meet other forum members is our schedules work out.

I'm going to get there sometime.  Unfortunately no classes for me.  It's spring in Iowa and I'm a farmer's wife.  Life doesn't get planned more than 5 minutes in advance and then it is subject to change.  I have informed my farmer that I WILL be going to CR even if it is just for an afternoon!  Good thing it is only a little over an hour away.

Those of you coming from farther away, if you can take some time to visit all the great shops in the area. There are lots to choose from.

D you think I need a rental car there?  Flying in Wednesday at 1:30, have classes Thursday, Friday and Sat and leaving Saturday at 3.  Are there options nearby for meals, other than the hotel, which gets pretty bad reviews for food.  Thanks

Here's a link to some options for downtown CR dining: http://www.cedarrapids.org/Content/Community-Development/Core-Districts/Downtown/Dine.aspx  Most are within walking distance of the hotel.

Quilt shops in the area (none downtown) include Connie's Quilt Shop in Marion, Pine Needles in Cedar Rapids, Heritage Designs in Main Amana (about a 45 minute drive) and Fern Hill in South Amana. If you want to drive an hour or more, there's Stitch 'n' Sew Cottage in Kalona and Inspirations in Hills. And in Williamsburg, there's the Woolen Needle and Rainbows and Calico Things (it's out in the country). 

Archived