Oil from wicks on large quilts

Beware of the oil wick on the back of George, and the four oil wicks on top. I've been quilting huge quilts this year, and have noticed oil spots from the wicks on my quilts because I bunch them up for freedom of movement while quilting. I saw my bunched quilt flop over the top of George and deposit oil. I spent several days removing the oil from the quilt with Sew Clean. So now I have pieces of plastic taped over these wicks to shield them from the quilt. Other folks I know who are working on huge quilts this year have had the same problems with George's oil wicks. Their solutions are to tape plastic pill holders or credit card holders over the wicks. Air can still get to the wicks, but they are now not exposed to touch the quilt. Haven't had this problem before, since I hadn't quilted work as large as 90" x 90".

wow....I am trying to envision how this happens....I don't have a George but have my DSM in a large cabinet and just put the binding on a 100 X100 quilt and know if the back of the quilt hits the wall, that I get resistance but as my table has the fold down back and I keep it up, I have enough in the back to keep the quilt from actually bunching up too high.....I think though that if I would free motion it, that the bunching would be the highest in the front right?  Lin

I have the lid of a Pin Packet over the oil wicks on my Millie,  Only so the dust from my room doesn't settle on them.  It is held on with Blue Tac in two corners - works a treat.

Since the oil we use in our machines is the same oil that some quilters "soak" their thread with, it shouldn't take much to get it out.

Archived