Other Hartley Gadgets?

White Rooster

I am interested in both the Hartley top feeding spool holder and the Hartley micro drive and would like to hear from those of you that use these tools.

The top feeding spool holder will hold regular spools of thread (instead of the cones) but are their other advantages?

My interest in the micro drive is to get better control when stippling or doing small areas of fill. Do you find this tool helpful or is there something else out there that works better?

I look forward to everyone's input before I invest in these gadgets. Thank you.

I just used the microdrive for the first time this week. Really liked the way it handled while I was in stitch regulation mode. Not so much when in constant speed, but that was only because it was a little hard to stop stitching exactly where I needed to......with more practice it might be fine.

I also have the double spool holder - works great for those smaller spools.

Hope that helps!

Sherri Dolly

Kansas

Mil

I have found the Micro Drive invaluable for intense backround work and I find I have better control when outlining applique! I don't use any small spools of thread in my business sew I do not have the horizontal thread holder. However, I know many that do own it and are very happy with it.

HTH

Jean

The Micro-Drive is awesome while sitting and doing tiny quilting. For that type of work turn the stitch regulator off and turn the speed down to a pace good for you. While in regular mode you will have much more control for tight quilting. The large base gives great support and allows you to rest your fingers on the quilt for greater control. The Micro-Drive can be used in other quilting. You will find what works best for you. If you are not using it just flip the handles up.

The spool holder is used for small spools and your decroative threads. The double cone holder allowes you to use your cones at the front of the machine. If you are using more than one color of thread on quilt use the back cone holder for one color, have two more colors on your double cone holder, two spools on the spool holder and not have to go to the back of the machine.

Anothe must hav IMHO is the flywheel cover.

Happy quilting

The fly wheel cover is a Hartley product ($14) that goes over your flywheel. This way when thread breaks it doesn't get wrapped up inside the flywheel - which is a pain to then take care of. I didn't purchase the fly wheel cover - though my DH insists I do. I cut a toilet paper roll in half lengthwise and taped it on. Drives my DH nuts!! (so maybe he'll order the fly wheel cover). I have it on the right side when at the front of the machine since I use the left side at times to move the needle....

The Flywheel cover attaches to your machine covering the flywheel on the right sde of your machine. Just clean the area to remove any oil or lint and stick it on. It can be removed if need be and replaced. It does stop any threads that may break from getting wrapped in your flywheel. As Kathy said it is a pain to get out. Check it out on my webstie. aquilterschocie.com

Myrna

• 3 months later...

One Hartley tool that is a must for me is the aluminum rails that lay across the span between your rollers. You run the elastic for the side clamps above the rails and they keep the clamps out of your way when quilting to the edges of your quilts.

They are a lifesaver...

• 8 months later...

I am looking at purchasing a used Hartley Fence. It is for my not yet delivered Ultimate 2. How do I know it's the most up to date one. Were their problems with the first ones. The seller mentioned it was delaminating a little. It looks like it is made of metal. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks Cheryll

Here is the Hartley Fence, as you can see the laminate has peeled away exposing the particle board. It has not been exposed to moisture or water (it was in arizona.) It still works fine but I too would like to know if the newer ones are all metal? and if this was a common problem? or it just might not have been glued properly to begin with,

I tried to make this picture smaller but we'll see if it took,

post--13461897757137_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The new Hartley Fences are not metal. They are still laminated. I really do not know anything about the fence for the Ult2's Having a piece of laminate peel away from anything can happen. It shoud not bother the proformance of it as long as it has stayed dry. You may be able to send it to Hartley and have it repaired.

Myrna

Archived