Bobbin Stitches

Do you ever look under your quilt to see how your bobbin threads look?? Do you have bi-focals?? OMGosh I almost stand on my head. Plus, I am so stinking tall that my table is up so high , I cannot lay on the floor and see the back of my quilts. I guess I need a mirror, but then I get all turned around.

I'm so laughing with you here......when I first got my machine I was pretty limber and could crouch down and peek under the machine, but I broke my left knee cap a couple of years ago when I took a header off a 5 foot ladder so its not as easy to do that anymore, so now I too do very funny things to get a good look.

Oh, and Tri-focals are a pain....can't see but 6 inches in front of my face without glasses so thats out....have even been known to send my granddaugther under there to check things out on the first row...after that I just do the roll up thing and check from there.

Man the things we do to make sure we don't have to frog....

Hi,

I know what you mean. So, I bought an inspection mirror (2 inches by 3 inches-about) from Home Depot. A large square (3 inches by 5 inches-about) from Office Depot and a very bright flashlight. But, I still can't see too well, so I still check by the braille method. The above tools work too.

Good luck!

You would be shocked at how much time I spend under my machine sitting cross legged with a Compuquilter... For some reason probably because when I first started I could never get my bobbin stitching to look good so when I have a flat quilt and everything is going well I sit cross legged down there and just watch it to make sure its going well. Of course I have been know to leave and go somewhere and find that I have batting and thread in my hair and never realized it until someone says something!!! Oh well !

Oh, Mary Beth, there are a few advantages to being short! I pop under my machine to check the bobbin stitches all the time. I tried the mirror thing, but that just confused me. I have to pull off my glasses to see the bobbin area and I am always searching for them afterwards. I keep a small lamp under the table and flip it on when I check the stitching.

As I said being short does have a few advantages. I could always save the volleyball when it went into the net. I can check for chin whiskers on others. I can stand up straight on an airplane. Lastly, I don't see the top of the refrigerator so I don't have to clean it.

Wait a minute, maybe that's why I always have a stiff neck--I'm always looking up at everyone.

Phyllis

PS Another advantage; I don't have to bend over when I hold my grandson's hand!

So Phyllis, think of this as an advantage and a disadvantage...when you come to MQS and stay at my house, my machine is set so high that when you use it you will be able to walk right under it :D Although, you will need a ladder to practice what you have learned at MQS that day :o

Yes, standing on a plane is very difficult when you are 5' 11". I have almose knocked myself out a time or two because I forget about that dumb overhead luggage thing. How can a person forget something that is almost in your face the entire trip?

I will be totally conscience of facial hairs next time I see you. And I'm glad you can't see the top of my fridge, although I can and my DH can and if the dust doesn't get to me it always gets to him.

Melody, batting and thread in your hair...what a hoot. I am always going to work with thread stuck to me because I get ready for work then get some quilting done before I go in. I'm like a thread magnent.

If I tried to take my glasses of to look at my stitches I might as well just look at the wall it would be the same. And I have thought about turning my classes over so that the bi-focals are on the top, but I have one eye for distance and one for close up, so that wouldn't work. You can have your glasses made with the bi-focals on the top, but then I would be switching back and forth.

Mayby I should invent glass lense' that rotate, then you just turn them when you want to look up under something. I could make enough money to pay off my machine :cool:

Kenna, that would work but I would need a Hydraulic lift attached to the trolley or maybe a ceiling motor pulley to get me back up off the floor.

Do you think we could attache a pillow and blanket to the trolley...miz well take a nap while I'm down there.

I am short, too...5'2" and holding...I think...well if I am not 5'2" that is okay...can't change the shrinking with age::P. I still don't like to crawl under my machine cuz it is almost as low as it goes:P I would like the trolley with the hydraulic lift so I can get up close. Bifocals don't work so well so I take off my glasses to see up close but of course this means my face is almost on top of what I need to see.:D

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

LOL........OK...this is just way to much for me......I am just laughing myself silly here......you are all a hoot!!!!!!!!! I literally have tears running down my face and can hardly see my puter screen to type this. I too am only 5'2" and have to take my glasses off to see underneath my machine to check the stitches...I guess I never thought about what you may have to go through when you are 5'11". But really this whole conversation is hillarious.......I love the sense of humor everyone has.:P

Renae,

I had not thought about what it was like to be 5' 2". Let's see, I was probably 3 years old when I was that tall :D I know being short has a lot of disadvantages, too. It just seems like since I have started machine quilting my eye sight has gotten worse. I like the idea of sending a child under the table to look at the stitches...wonder if I could drag one in out of the neighborhood? I could have some Little Debbie snacks on hand to feed them, but then again I eat when I'm stressed and if there are no kids out and I am stressed over my stitches - I would eat all the snack cakes. Then I will have worse problems then bad eye sight!!

When I have done about a foot of the first row I clip the threads, advance the quilt until I can see the stitching from the back (standing up) and if everything looks good I roll back to the point I stopped and continue to quilt. If I am not happy with the way things look, I adjust the tension, advance and check again from the back of the machine. Works for me. Never was able to stand on my head or my hands. LOL. Jessie

My LA friend suggested that I turn off the overhead lights and use a penlight and a mirror or just the penlight. Either way, getting down is easier that getting up. I find just finished a dark quilt and turned off the overhead lights and only had the machine light and could see much better.

Me too, me too with the Braille method!:P I am so paranoid on that first row until I know how the tension is doing. I've also learned to really listen to the stitching. There's a different sound when the tension isn't right. I also lay a long mirror on the back if I'm not doing a panto. I'm constantly running around to the back to check the mirror. But as sure as I don't the tension will go haywire and I end up frogging and that is so time consuming and back breaking.

You'd think that with all of the long-arm arobics that I'd be skinny...Hah.....lots of luck on that one.

Hi Mary Beth and all

I knew that I liked you Mary Beth! I can you beat you for height at 6'0". No, I don't play basketball! I have never been able to see my bobbin stitches under my machine no matter what method I use. I tried the mirror, crawling under there, no bifocals, but contacts, and still can't see anything. I'll track down a penlight and keep that handy. At the last LA's meeting at the shop, some wonderful person suggested keeping a small quilt sandwich nearby for practing. Just put the machine in manual and run a few stitches. Take it out, and turn it over for bobbin thread. It's so much easier!

Thanks to all for the laughs, the smiles and the info. Beth

So far after 9 years of Longarm Arobics I too have not become skinny....bummer, ya would think it would work. Maybe I should ask for a refund for that program.

I have one of those small bed clamp lights, clamped on my frame under the top....I have one of the older wooden tables so I'm not sure that this will work for others, but it shines just at the right angle that I can look under the quilt and to see the stitches shine and if there is any imperfection they really show up. Kinda of like looking for a contact lense on the floor with a flashlight.

I have a small flashlight...My table is too tall...I can sit up under it, but then when I look up my bi-focals are on the wrong side of my eyeball. If I lay down, I can't see the stitches because I am too far away. I think I am going to try to lower that sucker this weekend, maybe that will do the trick.

Dang...even with my table almost as low as it can go...I still can sit up straight underneath it with head room to spare...LOL

Mary Beth...your table would be like having a 12 ft ceiling over my head :P Lots of head room (maybe standing room?) and my hands probably wouldn't reach the bottom of the quilt while sitting on the floor:P LOL Where is that hydraulic lift when you need one?lol

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

well..... I am only 5' 11 3/4" - almost 6'.......close enough.....

Mary Beth - you should see what I do! Oh - my husband just noticed me

doing it last weekend while I was finishing a quilt. I tend to almost lay on

my table in the back to see my stiches. Just sing the song "Get a leg up....

hidey-high.... get a leg over now"..... not sure who by, thats all I can

remember. Anyhow - while standing I lay under / over my table in the back

and put one hand up on the top of the quilt to shadow the bright light off

of it - so I can see better. I also have a little stool by my machine if I need

it - bad knees so I NEVER kneel! Works for me - good luck!

Mary Beth, it wouldn't be the first time I've climbed a ladder or a stool to work. When I worked as a teller the counters were so high that I could rest my chin on it. DH built me a stool and I climbed up and down all day long. One sailer looked at me and said, "Gee you're tall. How tall are you?" As I hopped off of the stool I replied "Five feet". You should have seen his face!

How do you clean your bobbin area if you don't go under the machine? I have learned to pop the bobbin in and out without going under the machine, but I don't think I could clean it that way.

Last time I had my eyes checked I complained to the doctor that I couldn't see well enough with my bifocals on to stitch on 32 count fabric or thread a needle. I told him that I had to take off my glasses to do those two things. He cracked up and then told me that it was because my eyes now have built in magnifying lenses. Have you tried using a magnifier when laying on the floor?

I promise I won't look at your chin hairs if you won't stare at my dark roots!

You should see me climb up the shelves to get the item on the top shelf at the grocery store. I've also responded to the clerk saying, "Did you find everything today?" with "I could see it, but I couldn't reach it!" Of course, that's when I'm in a mood and don't feel like climbing or repeatedly asking tall people to get things for me.

My mother always said, "If you took a rolling pin and rolled me out I'd be 6 foot tall. That fits me, too.

Looking forward to staring up at you again, Mary Beth.

Phyllis

Judy, I am such a visual person...thank you so much for that beautiful description and song lyric...that helped and I will certainly try it next time!! :P

Phyllis, DH said that he would lower my table - yippee!! He suggested that I turn my glasses upside down and backward - of course he demonstraited and realized there was no place to put the ear pieces - the were sticking straight out in front of him...and he was driving - it looked like a penny scramble - him trying to turn his glasses around to see what was happening on the road :)

Cleaning the bobbin is no problem - I sit on a short step stool in front of the machine and it puts me at eye level with the bobbin.

Kenna - that cracks me up - your mom said she was 5'-6" and was really 5' 1" - i dated a guy like that once...we looked like Sonny and Cher :D

Okay....Phyllis and Mary Beth.....are you the two that were called "Mutt and Jeff" a few months back?

I'm so laughing at the sailer part....I would have loved to see the look on his face when you disappeared from his sight below the counter....what a hoot that would have been.:P

Archived