Old blankets

Ok I just have a couple questions! I just cleaned out my linen closet and have several old blankets in good shape that I do not need. I was just thinking if I could use the as batting ( or as a second layer. I would have an old blanket then a second layer of warm and natural or 80/20). Has anyone done this with success? The blanket do not have any holes just old but useful. Please let me know before I toss them. Hate to throw away anything! Thank you.

I've used flannel as batting but not blankets.  I imagine it matters what they're made of...a vintage style wool one would make great batting, I would think.  But even if you don't use them, don't throw them away.  Donate to a local pet shelter or homeless shelter.  They NEED bedding.  Post pics if you quilt with them.  Good luck.  

Beth

This past Christmas, my husbands' cousin, had me re-quilt a quilt he had worn out,  It had large sections of the outside top and backing gone and you could see inside the quilt. The batting was whatever they had on hand to use. blankets, towels, some batting, but mostly blankets. He wanted it re-covered and quilted with flannel sheets for a new top and backing. I did not take anything apart but loaded the flannel as if it were a pieced top and backing, and used the old quilt as if it were the batting. When finished, it was the heaviest "dry" quilt, I have ever handled. 

He loved it but his petite wife probably hates me when she has to wash it!

Debbie 

Jackson, Ga., USA

I have a customer that is a big time recycle person.  She shops for used blankets and that is what she uses for the batting.  At first I did not want to use them, but told her we could try but I was not promising anything.  I actually loved the feel of the blankets for batting.  The quilt came out very snuggly.

Good luck.  Try one!

Archived