sewing chair

If the chair you have is comfortable, I would suggest you got to the office store and purchase a carpet protector.  If you have deep pile carpet, you need to get one for that.  Otherwise it will break rather quickly.  They cost a little more, but they will last for years.  It will allow you to easily roll around on the carpet, or I should say on the carpet area it covers.  Whatever chair you have, it needs to have a vertical adjustment to ensure you sit at the proper hight in front of a sit down machine.  http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/chair-mats-for-carpet/N=5+501496/

On a longarm, you will have to get someone else's input.

Good luck.

Cagey

I would go along with Cagey's advice.  I have secretary style chairs at both DSM and one for George as well as another for my desk and more for the workbenches in the basement for our income work.  There are so many times that it is good to be able to adjust up or down or swivel for something.  The idea of using a non-rolling chair just doesn't cut it for me, they are too hard to get into the right position. 

For my own preference, I like the chairs best that have the adjustable back so I can adjust it to support my lower back.  The ones with full/tall backs tend to give me a backache because they end up not being shaped to fit my locations.  Take the time to be sure to get one with fits your personal requirements, not just a cheap quick fix.

I have three office chairs that I use for my sewing and computer...I love the rolling wheels...One chair I got at my local sewing store and it was designated as a "sewing chair"...It is ok, it has the basic adjustments....the one for the computer came from a local furniture store...I like it a little better than the one from the sewing store...both of these I paid between 100-200 for....my favorite is actually a used chair that I paid 100 for...at a local business furniture shop....they had taken in a bunch of these used office chairs as the business had changed their color scheme...it is the sturdiest and the most adjustable...I think it was the best deal so if you happen to have a used office furniture store...I would check it out too...I may have just been in the right place at the same time although at the time...I debated spending that much on a used piece of furniture....on the carpet issue...yes either get  one of those plastic proctors so you can roll around or even better...get rid of the carpet....I took all the carpeting in my house out and refinished the hardwood floors...much better......Lin

Thank you all for your suggestions. I never even thought of carpet protector. I do have another question for Neher-in-law, is George a machine? I have ataxia so quilting itself is a challenge. So I do need a chair that works for me. I have a task chair and I do like it, only issues was it doesn't roll, the carpet protector is a really good idea. I knew by asking I would get good ideas and I did.

Thank you again.

Angi, as was responded to above, George is the APQS 20 inch throat sit-down quilting machine.  You sit in the same position to the needle as you do with a DSM and move the quilt instead of the machine, so the same movements used at quilting on the DSM are the same ones used at George.  I use the Martelli quilting rings with mine and with just a light pressure I am able to move the quilt smoothly.  There is a gripping material on the bottom of the rings that allow the quilt to move with very little effort and they don't tire me out.  Each ring has a knob on the sides to hold with moving it.  I don't need to hold them tightly at all.

Archived