Hopping foot for Ultimate 1

I purchased a used Ultimate 1 about a year ago and I am now contemplating changing the original foot that came with the machine to a hopping foot. I know re-timing will be involved. I just want to know, those owners of Ultimate 1's that have changed to a hopping foot if you are glad you did, pros, cons, etc.

Thanks!!

I've done it.  With the addition of a base plate you can do ruler work, also the higher foot doesn't catch the seams nearly as much.  If you are going to do it check the needle bar bushings and hopping foot bushings as you are most of the way there already.  No cons I can think of pretty easy the timing is the hardest part of the job.

Nigel

Thanks, Nigel!

Did written instructions on how to change the hopping foot come with the new foot and did you feel they were all inclusive? I have to have step by step and don't want any surprises, but I know this forum and APQS will be available to help if I have any questions.

I had an Ultimate 1 for two years and never swapped out the hopping foot - I have one now since I upgraded to an older Millie in March...I honestly don't know if it's all that worth it to be truthful (expense AND hassle of re-timing).  I considered doing the same, and personally for me, I would probably only go through the hassle and cost if I were going to get the interchangeable feet...because the difference hasn't been great enough between the two feet.  I really  had little to zero issues with rulers with the spoon foot (I think that's what the Ulti 1 foot was called) and the issues I did have weren't really resolved with a different foot.

...and just a note...I used to have the spoon foot hop over my ruler on occasion...the hopping foot does it too.  I thought for sure it would solve all my problems but I've hit that darn ruler as much if not more with the new machine!  Mostly on double batt quilts though...  LOL!

Archived