Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I quilted my first vintage quilt and I have to say I'm quite smitten.  This quilt was found in a shop in Galena IL for $20.   I quilted this and it will be donated to the Sage Cancer Center here in IL.  I really need to find one of these for me.  A friend of mine donated this quilt top for quilts that we were making for a charity quilt drive.    

 

I learned a few things on this quilt.  I need to let go of the marking and ruler training wheels.   I found that if I just used registration marks and my ruler, I actually did better than marking and using a ruler.  That a lesson that will take a while, I was more than 1/2 way through when I learned that and it's going to be a hard one to let go.  And finally I used a sateen backing on this one for the first time, but it sure won't be the last.  It's so so soft I can hardly believe it.  

 

I was never a big fan of 30s reproduction fabrics, but I bet there are more than 60 different fabrics in this quilt and I really want to learn more about the fabrics.   I really need to find one of these for me!!! I want one, why can't I find these great things at the shops????  I think I've got a picture of almost all the fabrics, how do I go about finding out about these fabrics?  Are they reproductions?  Are they really from the 30's?  I need to know but have no idea how to find out.   

 

More detailed pictures posted at http://suedaurio.blogspot.com/2015/05/dresden-plates-on-mothers-day.html

post-5723-0-80802000-1431399273_thumb.jpg

post-5723-0-91139500-1431399285_thumb.jpg

post-5723-0-03595600-1431399295_thumb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a treasure! Your quilting is outstanding and what started out as something wonderful is even more so!

 

I'm sure you can find lots of information on-line about 30's fabric and feedsacks. During the 1930's flour sacks ( usually unbleached muslin) were utilized to make underwear and dishtowels by frugal women. The brand name was stamped onto the sacks with ink and the sack was boiled to remove the "label". The sacks were sewn closed with a chain stitch so when it was removed there would be a nice piece of usable fabric.

 

Feed sacks held chicken feed, rice, beans, and other food items. The manufactures started making the sacks with printed cotton. Mother would give Father strict instructions when he ventured into town to pick up the feed---make sure you get three sacks with the same fabric. Three sacks gave enough yardage to make a dress. One sack would make a nice apron. The feed suppliers were savvy and the farm wives were frugal.

 

Now, real feedsack fabric is coveted, collected, and pretty expensive. If you love the look, 30's reproduction fabric will be your new passion!

Here's a little history, Sue.

 

http://www.womenfolk.com/quilting_history/feedsacks.htm

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love your work, Sue.  It looks to me like she appliqued on a whole cloth and didn't make blocks.  I noticed there's only 17 pieces in each plate.  If they were blocks, do you know what size?  I love dresden plates, and this quilting is so beautiful.

 

 

Thanks Libby!  The blocks are actually 17 in square finished on what looks like bleached muslin.  And yes there are 17 pieces in each plate.

Edited by sdaurio
Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding work Sue.

One of my Dresden Plate Quilt was made of different finished and assortment of loose blades. I paid $50.00 for the bundle in one of our Quilt Guild Country Store (fundraiser) in 2010. Nobody was interested to buy & work on it, because I love vintage & appreciate the work in progress, I decided to make it into a quilt.

I posted pictures here years ago, I added more 30s reproduction fabrics to finish it with all Dresden Plate border around.

eBay sometimes have finds like this, check your antique shops. You can never tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Sue.  That is absolutely gorgeous.  How did you mark your circles, and how did you stitch them so perfectly?  Somebody is going to get a real treasure with that quilt. 

 

Thanks!  They were 17 inch-ish blocks.  I put  a registration mark at inch 9 and 8 on the seam allowances around the block.  I used a ruler from Quilted Pineapple, #20 that was the perfect size for the quilt.  It's not really a full circle.  Since the blocks were all not quite that even, I thought it would be more noticeable if I did full circles.  So I did pretty close to full circles but not quite!  Then I just did the quarter inch in.  I did this for each diamond shape, so rather than doing circles per block.  I did 4 arcs on 4 blocks at a time, that way it was continuous and just traveled down the seam to the next diamond shape.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...