NQR Madison story

Hi All,

Just got the news that BIL has finally been awarded custody of niece Madison!  Many of you have been following this story for almost 6 years now.  I don't know the details of the award yet.  The lawyers office called to tell him he had won custody and they would be mailing the 30 pg document, with 8 pages of stipulations, most of them against the mother according to the secretary.  She told him that it definitely didn't go in her mother's favor.  Thank you all for your prayers over the years.  She still needs them but I'm hopeful that her parents can move on and just help her grow into the best woman she can.  I know that is probably naive but I'm hopeful!  Thanks again for all your prayers!

That's great news, Heidi! I'm hopeful you'll get to see Madison regularly. You are such a good auntie to her.

Lisa,

I usually get Madison 2 - 3 times a week, the tough part is I have to go to BIL's house now because she is in school, which translates to about 3 hours a day on the road plus over night stays at least 2 nights a week.  It has been a tough 8 months but at least this way I know she is safe and well cared for.  Thankfully work lets me adjust my schedule so I can care for her.  I would do anything for her.  

Heidi,

This is great news!  I remember when she first came to visit you and how your heart would break for her...you have been such a stability in her life and such a blessing to her!  I am so happy that things have finally worked out in her favor!  Now on to the wonderful girl and young woman she can become with the good influences in her life!

Such good news for Madison! Having followed the story for all Madison's life, we all feel like surrogate aunties and want the best for her.

Child Protective Services have a hard job to do. They can intervene where there is abuse or neglect, but it's easier and more instant when there's abuse. Neglect is harder to recognize and it's harder to remove a child from a situation unless the neglect shows itself in failure to thrive or emotional issues. Even then the courts go the route of parental education and check-ups rather than removal of the child. It's a sad situation. Glad the court realized what was best for Madison finally. Give her hugs from her Aunties!

Such good news for Madison! Having followed the story for all Madison's life, we all feel like surrogate aunties and want the best for her.

Child Protective Services have a hard job to do. They can intervene where there is abuse or neglect, but it's easier and more instant when there's abuse. Neglect is harder to recognize and it's harder to remove a child from a situation unless the neglect shows itself in failure to thrive or emotional issues. Even then the courts go the route of parental education and check-ups rather than removal of the child. It's a sad situation. Glad the court realized what was best for Madison finally. Give her hugs from her Aunties!

Amen Linda!  You are right on.  It is a really tough thing to be on the other side of.  I can't tell you how many times I'd sit in court and it took all my power not to intervene.  I only once asked to address the court and had a little bit of say.  It still amazes me how well adjusted Madison is.  I try to be as honest with her as I can and always tell her she can tell me anything, even if she knows I won't like it.  LOL  She knows I'm the "stricter" parent.  We also just do a lot of talking and you just never know what will come up.  It is all I can do.  There was a story in our area of an Aunt who had been caring for a niece, just a baby.  Her mother had given the aunt custody but then one day just changed her mind and took the child back.  The courts of course sided with the mother.  Less then 2 months later the baby was killed.  The whole story isn't out yet but that aunt was on TV and sobbing and saying she wished she could have done more.  I so ached for her!  

You've been a blessing to Madison and she obviously is to you also. I can't imagine what you've been thru with the court system.  Bless you for being her voice.

The story you wrote about above is so sad.  What makes people have such little value for someone's life? 

Archived