Going To My First Guild Meeting

I discovered today that the Bay Area Quilt Guild meets about 15 minutes from my house each month.  Their next meeting is next Tuesday evening.  I emailed them to find out if they allow men.  A very nice lady emailed me back and welcomed me with open arms.  Said at this moment they don't have any other men but have had in the past and they would love to have me join them.

So I'll show up for the social at 6:30 pm and stay for the meeting afterwards.  Have no earthly idea what to expect but it should be fun.  It will be nice to have other folks to talk quilting with.

David

You'll have a grand time David! Our guild has quite a few male members but you'll have to ignore it when they open the meeting with the greeting "Hi ladies" or something similar. Other than that oversight our guild is open to all quilters, whether experienced or new. It's always interesting to see what others share at show and tell and to hear the presentations. 

Be sure to bring a quilt for Show and Tell. I have not been to a guild that doesn't have one and I have done trunk shows at a few different guilds. My Dad is a quilter but is too shy to go to a guild unless I convince him to do a trunk show at one of my guilds. He says too many women!

You folks are too funny.  Being the only man with a bunch of women doesn't bother me.  Used to work in a building where I was the only male with 15 women....they treated me like one of the girls...they used to love to embarrass me once they found out I turned red easily....all in fun.  I now am a substitute Sunday School Teacher for an all women's class so I have lots of experience with being with all women.

Let's face it....every man's dream....to be the only man with a bunch of good looking women.

David

Have a great time and bring something for show and tell.

Talk piecing with the ladies, bring goodies to eat, and I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends.

Now for the disclaimer! ;) Don't mention that you have a longarm unless someone asks who quilted your quilts. Then humbly mention that you're a newbie longarm owner, you're thrilled about it, and excited that you learn something new every day. Don't say much if asked if you quilt for hire, just share that you're still in the learning phase and are only quilting your own stuff. But volunteer to quilt some charity tops if you have time. Don't custom-quilt them, just a nice panto or graceful overall design.

***Guilds are suspicious of people who join only to have access to new customers. And established longarmers in the guild will not be happy to see new competition.*** 

So if you like the group, don't miss a meeting and be your friendly, charming, and humorous self! They're going to love you!

Thanks Linda for the disclaimer.  I will definetly tell everybody I'm a learner on the longarm if it comes up.  I'm not out to take anybody's business(not that I think I could) and don't want people to think that's why I joined the guild.  I'm just sort of limited in real life over whom I can talk quilting with....You folks are super to talk with but it would be nice to stare eyeball to eyeball while talking quilting.  LOL

David

Oh My.....just got back from MY new guild meeting.  It was almost like a mini-Houston Quilt Festival.  Between 75-100 people showed up....3 men including myself showed up.  Twenty-eight ladies showed their quilts in the first part of Show And Tell and approximately 10 more showed their quilts on the second part of it.  From beginners quilts to Oh My Goodness Quilts.

I knew two of the ladies....they go to my church and I've taught them in their Sunday School classes when I filled in as a substitute teacher.  Everybody was very nice.  One lady who was sitting beside me asked if men were that loud when they got together.  haha.

The lady was showing me around and introducing me to some of the volunteers and as soon as I got to the woman who was over the "service quilts" she asked me if I quilted.  I said yes.  She asked if I quilted my own quilts.  I said yes.  She asked what type of machine I had.  I told her.  She said you can help us if you would like to volunteer to quilt some of these quilts.  LOL.  I told her I would be glad to if I joined....I did join by the way.

I can't say enough about the quilts and quilting.  It was like looking at the pictures you folks post except that I get to see them in person.

Guess you can see I'm a bit excited.

David

Join the club! I'm the only male in guild I am in. fortunately my wife is a member so I have at least someone to hang out with. They are very nice and the speakers they have lined up are first rate. We have had Sue Nichols, Harriet Hardgrove and a male quilter, Luke Haynes. There are a lot of great resources the quilds have.

Have a great time!

Doug

Archived