Help! Red dye on white fabric!

In order of least-invasive treatment to needing a full wash--

Try dabbing at the stain with a cotton swab dipped in a mild quilt-wash solution. It may not be a full-on ink stain (fingers crossed). 

Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. Try to isolate the area since you don't want extra water touching any colored fabric. Dab it on and work it in. Needs to be rinsed.

Sew Clean. This product requires a complete rinse-out and has a citrus-y smell, so again, by careful with the application. The directions recommend washing the whole item if you use it, to keep from having a shadow afterwards.

Untested by me, but a possible remedy--make a solution of Synthrapol to dab on the stain. This product removes excess dye from hand-dyed fabric and may work for you. It usually requires soaking in a solution, but isolating and treating only the stain might work. (looks like Heidi and I had the same idea!)

Remember that while the fabric is wet, the stain may still be slightly visible, but after drying it may be acceptable.

I'm sending you good thoughts and a hug as you go forward!  :)

tada! - the little stain is gone - this may not be the preferred method, but I dabbed it with a q-tip dipped in a diluted bleach solution.  Of course, I tested it out on scrap first, and it worked just fine!  I'm so glad that this was white fabric and not anything with color.  Note to self - NEVER put a red (or any color for that matter) file folder anywhere near a quilt top . . . in fact, I think I'm going to get rid of all my colored file folder and go with the plain ones. 

So happy you got out the spot!

Just a reminder, Bev. Before you send the quilt home, use another Q-tip dipped in peroxide to dab on the spot. Then put on some plain water. The peroxide will neutralize the oxidation of the bleach. Any time you use bleach on fabric, over time the fabric will degrade. It's OK for your T-shirts and white blouses, but bleach on a quilt may cause a "rotten spot" years down the road. This advice taken from the bleach-discharge chapter of "Casting Shadows", a book by Colleen Wise.  :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived