One Step Forward-Two Steps Backward

I got my Baptist Fan Groovy Boards from Vickie the other day.  I had made a small practice quilt out of scraps to practice the Baptist Fan designs on.  I knew it would take a while to learn how to align the boards each time I had to roll the quilt.  So off I go.  Tension:  Top-Great  Bottom-Great.  First row-Great  Second Row-Great (It's a two row groovy board)  Aligned my groovy boards up with the previous design I had just stitched out....ok...off a little....so next time I doubled checked all along the quilt and the design lined up perfectly.

So I'm getting this down pretty good.  Yea me.  I'm 3/4 through with the quilt....just clicking right along....ran out of bobbin thread.....Took old bobbin out...cleaned my bobbin area good...put new bobbin in and started quilting again.  Rocking right along....guess what I DID NOT check when I changed bobbins.....Yep....didn't check my bottom tension which I ALWAYS do.  Did two more rows and rolled the quilt and looked at the back of the quilt that I had rolled.....Freaking eyelashes....where did they come from?  I was so aggreviated that I just came inside for a bit....had a drink (milk) and thought about it....nothing changed other than I changed the bobbin.....so I went back to machine and sure enough there was a big glob of lint inside the bobbin case.  Cleaned it out.....adjusted my tension just a bit and eyelashes gone.

Since the quilt was made for a practice quilt anyway and will be going nowhere other than maybe hanging in my garage (front looks great) I'm not ripping stitches out and I'm not showing the back to anybody...but I did learn...slow down....think things through.....don't assume...don't skip steps.  I would rip stitches if the quilt was for someone other than for me.

I know none of you have ever done anything like this so this is my confession for today.

David

Me and the seam ripper decided to bond this morning.  Couldn't stand the thought of those eyelashes being all over the back even if it is a practice quilt.  Not too bad....about 1/2 done.

David

Soon your checklist will be routine. You'll do every step without thinking about it. I've measured, loaded, oiled and warmed up the machine, readied the threads, straightened the top, pinned the edges, and tested the tension---humming a song to myself and all in Zen-mode. Very therapeutic. It'll be second-nature soon!

You think that you know what you are doing and are confidently quilting using your large, complex machine! Then, bam! Something goes wrong and you are back to square 1....trouble shooting......and many times it is a new problem you have never had trouble with before! I am very glad this forum is so helpful when things go wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh?  Me have that problem.. I doubt I complete one quilt without the tension going bonkers. 

Right now I have a QoV on the frame,  and about 2/4 of the way on the pass going to the end of the row,

suddenly the machine and computer unit won't move, stitches in place, makes a huge knot.

AND worst, breaks the needle and shreds the fabric.

We have cleaned rails, and wheels, run a cotton ball to find any snags, nothing.  Cords are not pulling

nothing is  pushing, no seams there.. I used sewers aid on the area, and,  it happened again.

I'm getti9ng discouraged with two more QoV for ladies and 4-H kids, then two or 3 of my own.

I hate it when things like this happen and delays everything... Going to do the 4-H kids big block top on the

domestic.. the Viking won't sew again, either.

Sorry for dismal outlook.   Gotta go get a haircut, switch accounts at the bank, pick up meds., and this afternoon we hand out

the Farm 2 Table  at your Co-op site..

God Bless all with no more problems, a smile on your face, and a very happy attitude. 

Archived