One Of The Reasons I Quilt

I substitute teach in Sunday School for a lady who has been in the hospital for over 6 months.  She got out about a month ago and the same day they had to put her back in....Two weeks later she was sent home and after two more weeks was back in the hospital.  She has RA really really bad and had gotten some type of infection in her system.  She almost died twice.

I decided to make her a prayer quilt.  I had been wanting to make a scrappy quilt so I made a Scrappy String Quilt.  I wanted really bright colors so that it might be uplifting and not just blahhhhh.  Normally I wouldn't have used some of these fabrics but hey...that's what a scrappy quilt is...right?  Took it to the Sunday School for the past two Sundays and everybody prayed over it and tied a knot.

I quilted it with stippling in the outside border, diamonds in the sashing, and circles within circles for the blocks.  I always try something new on each quilt and the circles within circles was my first time.

I wanted the ladies from the class to take it to her and just tell her it was from the class and not tell her who made it but one lady had already told her about it so she knew.  Yesterday one of the ladies and I took it to the hospital and gave it to her.  Seeing her face light up and the smile on her face was worth it all.  She just kept saying how beautiful it was and showing it to all the nurses that came in.  The lady I was with folded it and hung it up on the wall of the room so that she could see it while laying in bed.

I'm amazed how God will use someone like me to help brighten someone's life up just a little.  I guess He wanted to let me know that there is always something we can do for others even if we feel so unworthy.

This is not the best picture in the world.

David

post-66081-0-18230200-1433506888_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am constantly amazed at how God uses us as His hands and feet, even though we may think that what we are doing might be quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I was just telling my children today to remember what Mother Theresa use to say, "If you can't feed 100 people, just feed one." I know my kids get sick of hearing it, but this goes right along with my daily mantra, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." God bless you for making a difference in that woman's life.

Archived