Quilt labels

I am terrible about labeling my quilts.  I have a quilt that is I am gifting to a friend who has been deployed to many hot spots in the world for much of the last three years.  He is home hopefully for good now and his wife is throwing a party.  I know that this quilt needs a label.

Two questions:  1.  What is the best way to label a quilt - is there a certain pen I should use?  2.  This is not a QOV because it doesn't meet their specifications, but is a gift of appreciation for his service and his family's sacrifice.  Any suggestions as to wording?

When we put a label on a quilt, we usually use one of the embroidery machines to embroider the text, and then hand stitch the label to the quilt back, after the quilt is completed and bound.  Don't have any suggestions regarding the text.  Hope this helps.  Jim

Lynn

I recently made a label and printed from the computer to the laser printer.  I simply ironed a piece of plain cotton to a letter size piece of freezer paper. I composed my message in a word document and then printed it.  It worked really well and did not bleed after washing.

Leslie

As others have said, I would suggest using an embroidery sewing machine to make the label.  If you do not have one, I would suggest taking your saying to your nearest sewing machine dealer or quilt store.  I am sure that someone at your quilt/fabric store does embroidery.  For $10-15 bucks they can make a label for you.  That is what I did before I got a new machine capable of embroidering.  If you do not have a local quilt/fabric store, check with your local sewing machine dealer.  They would be idiots to not help you make the label.  They will be supporting a hometown troop, and more than likely you would buy from them in the future when you upgrade machines.  That being said, I would sew the label down on two side when you secure the binding, and then hand bind the other two sides when you hand bind the back side of the quilt.  

"May We Never Forget Freedom Is Not Free" could be shortened to "Freedom Is Not Free"

Made for Rank Name, Date, by Lynn

Thank you for signing the check that keeps us all free.

God Bless You and America

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:13

Thank you for defending our great Country.

Made for Rank Name, Date, by Lynn

I always use my computer for labels. I use any number of the treated fabric label sheets - get them at your LQS or JoAnn's. I use MS Word and usually say something like ...

"Thank you for your service to our country." 

Name of quilt - if it has one

Made for __________ (person's name receiving the quilt)

By ______________ (my name)

City, State        Date - sometimes the entire date if for a special occasion that needs to be remembered or just the year

I then hand stitch to the back of the quilt - usually I add a fabric border around the entire label and then stitch it down - sometimes the pre-treated fabric is tough to hand stitch through.

If you can't print the label on a computer, here is another way. I iron some light colored cotton on to some freezer paper. Then use a ruler to draw 1/2 to 3/8 inch lines on the back. I use a fine line sharpie to write the label. If your handwriting is bad, you can use the computer set on a font that is easy to copy by hand to write the label. Then use a light box , put the computer printed label under the fabric that is ironed to the freezer paper and trace away!

Quilt artists use either sharpie pens or identity pens (pens made to label clothing) to color their quilts so it must be OK for labels.

I bought a charm pack of solid white just for labels. I use freezer paper, iron on back of charm square. I print straight from my tablet to printer. I take the freezer paper off, fold over about a 1/4 of inch or more depending on the size I want, iron that 1/4 inch down all the way around, then hand sew it into the bottom right hand corner. I now do this before binding since I read about some people are taking off labels and claiming they made the quilt. Non of mine but it was a news story I read about. Other than the charm pack, I didn't have to buy anything extra for labels. Ok ok I might have had a few extra charm packs laying around lol.

Archived