Arboretum Quilt

Barbara asked me to quilt her quilt for the new Arboretum.  Barbara not only quilts but she is also a Master Gardener.  She made this quilt to hang in the entrance of the Arboretum.  The Poplar leaves are because the Poplar tree is the Tennessee State tree.  All the Master Gardeners that work on the Arboretum signed a leaf that she appliqued in the first border.  She request that I quilt the name, city, state and the year established.  You can see they have worked on it for awhile.  She said this would hang in the entrance for all of the visitors to see and enjoy.  What a honor for me.  The quilt is 55x55 and I used 2 layers of 80/20 batting, Glide and SoFine thread.  All quilting is freehand on my APQS Millie.

post-17271-0-75872500-1434234883_thumb.jpg

post-17271-0-30023500-1434234906_thumb.jpg

post-17271-0-88908900-1434234925_thumb.jpg

post-17271-0-11103600-1434234948_thumb.jpg

post-17271-0-10404800-1434234963_thumb.jpg

I've had a few people ask about the lettering.  I have a Circuit from my scrapbooking days that I use to cut out the letters.  Trace around them and then quilt.  I've quilted them with and without background fill but I do like it better with, makes the lettering pop a little more.  I'm pretty sure you could do them with stencils or even using a font on the computer.

Diane:

Just to make sure I understand how you did the lettering, and it looks gorgeous.  You simply traced the letters from a stencil on the quilt top.   Then you trapunto-ed them, and finished up quilting around them with two layers of batting to make them pop/stand out.  Do I have your method accurately?

Cagey

Your background is so even, not large and small etc.  Outline stitching leaves nothing to be desired!

Love the leaves, we have a chestnut tree in our back yard.  It is always first to leaf out and first to push the leaves off.

so pretty.

Rita

I trace the letters on to the quilt top using a blue marker, sew around letters and then spritz with water to remove.  I use two layers of batting on the whole quilt.  The two layers and background fill makes the letters "pop".  I have used 1 layer of batting but 2 layers make the letters/words stand out more.  Hope that helps.

Archived