oversized quilt

I have a potential customer with a quilt that's larger than my 10' table (112" x 112"). I've told her about the situation, and suggested that maybe, with thin batting, I could fold half the quilt in, quilt it, then fold that quilted half in and quilt the other half in a second pass. Does this sound do-able to those of you with more experience, and has anybody tried this before? I offered to recommend her to someone else, but she's heard from a mutual friend that I do the kind of quilting she likes (free motion, feathers, you know the stuff APQS machines excel at), and I don't want to discourage that.

I know, a larger table makes more sense, but this table already fills the room, and out here we don't have basements and you don't want to even see my garage....

Marty Provencher

www.heartsdelightquiltingcompany.com

Santa Clara, California

Millenium

Martha,

First, let me say that when I have to turn a quilt, I consider if a giant-sized PITA. I've done it, but I don't like it.

I'm not sure how you would pin that on the leaders unless you have lots of backing fabric on all sides. And even if you do, the thickness on one end of the roller might skew the half that is supposed to be level/flat where you plan to quilt it.

I would like to see what some other 10-ft table quilters have to say. This must have come up and beeen solved before.

I wouldn't do it, you take a risk of alot of tesion issues because you won't be able to stabilize the half you can't load onto the machine properly. For your sake and for your reputation as a long armer recomend her to a different quilter that has a larger table and then tell her to keep you in mind for any quilts (give her the largest size you can do on your table) that she may have in the future...maybe even offer her 10% off the next quilt she does bring to you.

Joann

Bummer....I guess you might be able to do this, but I would think you will need to stuff some batting under the lesser side so that it will wind equal and not pull sideways...

This biggest quilt I've done maxed out my 12 foot bed, but I quilted what I could with it pinned onto the rollers and then when I was finished I had to turn to do the outside edges as I couldn't move the machine around to get those pieces....it turned out okay

In your case I would maybe roll up the sides to fit your machine and not do it in half like you mentioned....see my photo I've only about 6 inches on each end of this quilt....and I quilted what I could and then flipped it around to do the rest.

post--13461897980679_thumb.jpg

Martha I do not really have an answer for you. I have a 14 foot table so I can pretty much do monster quilts without a problem.

If I were you I would contact the customer service for the compay that sells your machine and see if they can tell you if it can be done. Like someone else said you could risk tension problems and a skewed top.

Hi Marty: I have a ten foot table and just finished doing Mom's quilt which was 103" and it maxed out my canvas plus one inch. I wouldn't take on anything bigger than the 103".

Don't you have a friend with a larger machine? My friend Cathey said I could use hers if I had a bigger project.

The other thing is that since you are only short about 9", can the borders be removed just along the sides, quilted separately and then reattached? The customer could even add some piping when she sews it back together.

I really like my ten foot Millennium and mine is in a bedroom on a diagonal so I didn't have a choice to go bigger. Good luck resolving this issue. It's nice to have a customer who really wants to use your service. Maybe she will make her next quilt smaller or put the sashing on afterward.

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

All the other quilters in the area that I know about have gammels. Too much learning curve for that. How did your 103 incher turn out?

Bonnie,

When you turned your quilt for the outside edges, how did you tackle the corners?

Linda,

I've come to the point that on special borders (say, feathers) I'd rather turn the quilt than start and stop. (Though I'm now thinking of getting a "brake"--that wooden block setup-- for the other side, so I can move the advance pedal over and work down either side of the quilt equally well, or nearly. Has anybody else done that?)

Marty Provencher

www.heartsdelightquiltingcompany.com

Santa Clara, California

Millenium

This is only my second pantograph and I used the same pattern which was so much easier. I angled the laser beam back toward the head and was able to do the whole length. On the right side of the panto I was very close to the support bar. At least you and I both know that 103" works. You could probably push it to 105" with the help of the fabric side extenders but you are working beyond the edge of the canvas.

Vicki

post--13461897980881_thumb.jpg

Martha, the quilt that I did was totally freehand so I just filled in at the corners as needed....

If I had done a panto or something with a design I would have had to handle the corners probably on my DSM as I wouldn't have been about to reach into them correctly, but with freehand it wasn't a problem matching up and making things look like was ment to be that way.

Vicki,

What a lovely quilt! And thanks for the encouragement.

Bonnie,

This will be freehand for sure, I haven't even tried my hand at pantos. But how did you access the corners on your LA? Did you reload it, or was it that you were able to extend all the way across as long as you were close to where it was pinned on to the leaders or what?

Marty

Martha,

I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner....must have missed this one. Sorry.

There was a bit of a gap in the very unreachable areas of the corners....I think about 8x14 inches that couldn't be reached no matter how I turned it....and I Used my DSM to fill in those areas....it didn't have as smooth of a stitch as the longarm, but it turned out nice.

Hope all has gone well with your quilt and again sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Archived