Looking for new iron

loukie

I have a T-fal I got on Amazon for about 40 bucks. It has a ceramic coated sole plate that does not accumulate starch build up. I never have to clean the bottom of it. My friend had hers set up at a sewing group, and everyone loved it, too. Nice feel, nice weight and nice point on the front.

I have a real inexpensive iron I bought at Walmart several years ago and I love it. It is made by Rival for Walmart and cost me about $10-$12. It does not shut off which is what I was looking for. I have given up on expensive irons because they never seem to last very long. I have had an Olisio - lasted less than a year, a Reliable - started spitting at a year, and one that has the boiler inside of it - I can't remember the name but it was very expensive (may EuroSteam or something like that). I have also had others and they never seem to last very long and they automatically shut off. I don't like waiting for them to reheat. 

The Rival I have is a steam iron but I never put steam into it - I use Best Press instead. It isn't as heavy as I really wanted and doesn't get quite as hot as some of the others, but it does exactly what I need and want it to do. I have now had it for 2 years and it is still working great. The best thing about this is if it dies, I don't really care - I bought a second one at the same time! The last time I was in Walmart I looked and they still carry this iron - they have 2 models, one with auto shutoff and one without. 

I will no longer spend the money for expensive irons that are going to die before they should!

We have a Pacific Steam gravity feed iron.  Maybe a bit pricey at about $150, but a great iron,  Lots of steam.  No auto turn off, large water supply, and long lived.  It's NOT portable.  We've had Rowentas and Olissios, and this is much better.  Had it about three years now with no issues what so ever.  Jim

I have a T-Fal one that will. not.  die.    Seriously.  I have dropped it from 6 feet high onto a carpeted over basement (concrete) floor.   Everytime I drop it (I tangle on the cord)  I think...this has got to be it.  For sure!   Nope...still keeps on ticking.    :lol:   I even have posted in this forum asking for iron suggestions for when it does die.  and it still won't.    :blink:  

I have a Rowenta that will no longer hold water, but still heats great.  I like the heft of it, but I have given up on ever owning a Rowenta that will steam with out spitting or leaking.  The sole plate is getting bad on this one (too many tumbles to the floor as well) so I suppose I should start looking for a new one.  I guess I'm odd because I like the auto shut off.  It just takes a couple of seconds to reheat, I have gotten into the habit of tipping it often when I am in the sewing room.  I am also very naughty and don't unplug it because it is a pain in the rear to get to the plug in,  I really should get out of that habit.

I purchased a Reliable Velocity V200 in January and love it. I have had Rowenta Professional irons for the last 25 years but they have continually declined in quality and only last a couple years. I can't stand the spitting. The Reliable has an over-ride for auto shut off which is awesome; big water tank and a touch steam generator. It will stop generating steam regardless of position when you take your hand off the handle. I did have to get used to the steam only being on the one end of the iron. Check out the video on Allbrands.com.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/43058-reliable-v200-sensor-velocity-iron-touch-activated

Thank you all for your input.  I think I will go the Walmart route, I don't usually use steam (Best Press) and I would hate to have an expensive iron conk out or leak in a year or two.  Thanks again for your quick, informative replies.

Loukie

We recently bough two light weight irons at Walmart.  I usually kill them like Sue Edburg does hers.

light in weight due to neck and back pain   

I use mine dry also, Best press for our  clothing, and  Magic sizing for piecing.

They cost right at $12 and I think may b e Black and Decker.

It heats quickly, doesn't shut off and has the nice point and what I call the slip slot

to press things we don't want pressed down.

I hope they still have them when I need more.

Cagy,

I use the Magic sizing as I press seams.  Lightly that is.   It's terrific for helping hold the diagonal cuts

in piecing.   I've used it on clothes a lot, was given Best Press, and then Himself won a refill.  Still using it up.

Magic Sizing is a different product that produces a finish like spray starch.

I never have to worry about bugs eating the fabric, and It gives me a nice crisp finish.

It doesn't have flakes like a spray starch, either.

You can find it right with the spray starches, most any grocery store.

I hope this helps...   I'll be interested in what you think, once you've tried it out.

I've also used it on the fabric sort of like a stabilizer before I cut, especially if it is applique or curved piecing, like Drunkards Path.

I am also looking for a new iron.  I purchased an Oliso and loved it but that didn't last long.  It quit heating after about 3 months.  I have had the steam generator ones and also loved them while they worked.  I have decided that the best thing is to never put water in an iron as that is what kills them.  I use the Best Press a lot and love the results.  Thanks for all the info.  I love this blog.

Rita:

Thank you for the information.  I was never taught to use Best Press, Magic sizing, or even spray starch when quilting.  So I have never tried that.  I only starched the quilt top and bottom before I pin basted the entire quilt.  I will have to try these new techniques on my next quilt.  After I read you first post, I did find a YouTube video discussing dipping each or your quilt fabrics into a mix of spray starch.  Then letting it air dry.  They said the material would shrink like when you wash it prior to quilting.  Once dry, press it and then start your piecing.  

Thank you again for the information.  I am glad to see that you are back home, and up and running once again.  Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Cagey

Cagey.

You are so very welcome.   I like  telling what I do or about something I've experienced.

If it can help jiust one person, then it's great.  It is already good as it helps me.

I don't think I'll use the dunk, it makes me tired just having to think of starching, drying and pressing all those fabrics.

Thanks for the encouragement for me.  It is going slow, too slow for me, and the hand I had surgery on a couple of months

ago is getting worse.  I don't know what the next step is to be.

Happy stitching everyone, may they be straight seams and accurate measurements.

RitaR

• 3 years later...
On 6/30/2015 at 6:34 PM, Fastquilts said:

I am also looking for a new steam iron.  I purchased an Oliso and loved it but that didn't last long.  It quit heating after about 3 months.  I have had the steam generator ones and also loved them while they worked.  I have decided that the best thing is to never put water in an iron as that is what kills them.  I use the Best Press a lot and love the results.  Thanks for all the info.  I love this blog.

The only time mine leaks is if I overfill it past the full mark, so that's user error and not a faulty iron. Otherwise it's dry as a bone. The external tank one doesn't store any water in the iron itself. If you buy the good ones (all of the decent and better ones are made in Germany, the made in China stuff I don't think they even offer in their home market) and empty the water after you're done using it, it will last for years. 
I bought a Rowenta on the advice of my alterations seamstress, and it's going on its (I think) ninth or tenth year. No leaks, clogs, etc. I always empty it after use, and once in a while I clean it with citric acid to clear away calcium/lime buildup. 

I buy vintage irons that don't have the auto shut-off on the Goodwill auction site. Look for one that is bright and shiny and doesn't appear to have been used much and I am good to go. I don't use steam, just a spray bottle with water when I want to give the fabric a little encouragement to lay flat.

Archived