Need batting advice

I have a potentially new customer (I may or not agree to do her quilt).  She wants the quilting to really pop, almost like a trapunto effect.  I know I can do that with wool over cotton, or double layers of thick loft polyester.  But she wants warm and natural on the bottom and another batting on top

AND she wants to be able to machine wash and dry this quilt.

Any suggestions?  I have explained to her that wool can't go in the dryer.  I also told her warm and natural will shrink a bit, and polyester will not.  I'm not sure what to tell her.  She has been calling my phone repeatedly with a bunch of questions, and she has sent me a dozen or more facebook messages with questions and comments. She has also sent me pictures of quilts that she likes the quilting on, but those designs won't work on her quilt, in my opinion. 

The quilt is Northern Lights by Jaybird quilts.  It would look best with an all over pattern.  She refuses to even consider it.  I suggested a different fill design in each lightning bolt. She is considering that, but wants to see a bunch of sketches of different designs first.  

Do you see why I said I might not agree to do the quilt? 

Any suggestions about the batting, and help dealing with this lady would be appreciated.

Hi Teresa,

In my opinion, you should quote her an outrageous price for the custom quilting she is asking for....maybe she will go away. :D

As for batting, hobbs polydown gives good definition to stitches. It is soft and light and washes well. It looks better than wool in my opinion. Quilt up a small practice piece with one layer of poly and another  with 2 layers of poly and another with the battings she requested to show the differences between them.

From what you have said about her, she is not the kind of person who can be pleased no matter what you do. Or she simply doesn't really know what she wants and is still searching. Good Luck, whatever you do.

Debbie

So many potential problems, Teresa.

It reads like she has a firm vision of what she wants but doesn't have the knowledge or experience to relay that vision to you. So with her strong opinions not allowing her to bow to an expert, I'd pass (graciously) on this one. I don't think you can please her. And as far as her wanting to see a bunch of sketches, tell her your designing fee is $25 per hour. Do not give her your ideas in the hopes of having her as a customer. Follow your own good instincts.

Teresa,  she sounds like that customer you may never be able to please.  She is too indecisive for me.  I would ask her to do all the research and come when she has made up her mind.   Let her know you will be happy to quote her a price when she has decided what she wants.  It sounds like she is fishing and taking up a good deal of your time.

What Linda said.

If you do decide to quilt her quilt, your intake form must include a detailed description of the quilting you will do, along with a statement that under no circumstances will you pick out any quilting and "requilt"  the quilt.  She must sign that she agrees to all of the above terms....(what ever you fill out on your form).

She sounds like a person who will be impossible to please....I wouldn't do free sketches for her either...she could take your ideas and go somewhere else...I might show her a sketch in person but I would not send it via email or give her a copy ...tell her to research and use Pinterest etc and bring you ideas...and then of course you could add to them after that...I have this happen all the time when I am asked for drapery ideas....

I use Warm and Natural in all my quilts. I am committed to the company because of the owner's commitment to his workers who have intellectual disabilities.  And I love the stuff.  SOMETIMES to increase the loft and show off stitching I'll put a layer of Mountain Mist lite over the Warm and Natural.  I'm planning to buy a roll of Warm and Bonded (I think it's called) when I get my Lucey.  

She went ahead and mailed her quilt and had batting sent to me from Hancocks.  Before I even showed her the sketches last night.  I guess she is determined for me to do her quilt.  Here is the agreement I drew up.  I think I covered my butt on everything.  Would somebody please take a look and make sure it is okay?  I have usually just used a handwritten piece of paper with both signatures, but this one is going to be "special", I can just tell. She was referred by another customer.

First off, I would remove the lady's name from your photo.  It sort of flags her, and this post could come back to haunt you.  Just my two cents.

If you want to get very legal, I would say your quilting will average a 1/4 inch across quilt top.  Otherwise, if I find it wider, I can say you did to fulfill your end of the agreement.  Thread matching is rather vague.  I would state will use the closest thread in quilters inventory that matches the quilt top. And state that the best match is up to the quilter.  For the back I would specify the thread name and color number.  I bet there a a few dozen light green colors.  The devil is in the details.

Cagey 

Archived