dreaming of a Lucey

I'm dreaming of ordering a Lucey, and in fact am going to a road show next week to try out all the machines.  But the biggest fear I have is that I live in a small home and rooms are small.  I don't have room in our basement, and the attic is unlivable most of the year.  Besides, I want the machine in the middle of my home.  Eventually, my son will move out (he's 25...move out already!) and I can commandeer his room for the longarm, but for now, it's going in the former dining room, which has been my quilting studio.  It will pretty much be all that's in the room.  I'm concerned about the length of the table.  I know I will only have room for a 10 foot table.

How much room do I need to have on either end of the table?  Just enough for passing from front to back?  Can one end be close to the wall? 

I've talked myself out of buying this machine in the past because I'm afraid I just don't have room for it. 

I had an amazing thought right after I ordered my Lucey with a 12 foot frame....maybe I better measure my room and see if it will fit....panicked...I ran down to do so...My Lucey lives in the basement....WOW....I have Inches to spare!  Anyway...she fits down in that room....I did have to move just about everything else out....I found a little metal table just big enough to hold the bobbin winder and a few other items....I do have a cabinet in one corner...the cutting table is just outside the door so not that bad....I call it my quilting dungeon and had thoughts of decorating it with bats and cobwebs   :)  Have fun.....Lin   oh...my DSM lives in my dining room....fabric lives just about everywhere but most is up on the second floor as my batting....WOW...quilting has taken over my house....

My Lucey came with her 12 foot frame and lives right down the center of the loft of our A-frame!  The length isn't necessarily a problem, but those slanted walls make it interesting.  Our bed is now downstairs too!  I have one other arrangement I want to try in the loft but that means some real moving of stuff.  If I get desperate there is always the 14 x 26 living room or finish off the 26 x 28 sunroom, do you think I would have enough room then!

Archived