Simply stencils opinion

I have found that I can find almost any design on the internet.  Think clip art, or a picture that you like.  Then print the image that fills your block or the area that you want to place it.  Take it to your machine.  Without any thread in the needle, quilt along the lines of the image that you want on the quilt. Leave about a 1/8th to a 1/4 inch per needle hole. 

On dark colored quilt tops, take a heat sensitive pounce and pounce the image onto your quilt top.  http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/quilt+pounce.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=1  The first time you use the pounce, pour the powder into it, and  place it into the holder.  Then gently tap it on the table about 50 times.  Then refill the chalk and tap it another 50 times.  When using the pounce, do not tape it on top of your stencil.  Swip it from side to side across the top.  It will not rub off when you move the quilt around.  If you want it gone, simply iron it with a warm iron, and the image disappears.  Supposedly the chalk causes no health issues if breathed in.  

On a light colored quilt top, take a blue water soluble and push it into the holes you "quilted" while firmly holding it in place.  I have been told to not use any other pounce colors, as they can be difficult to impossible to remove from the quilt top.  I have no experience with other colors, as I have listened to the instructors.  

If you want a stencil that you can keep for future use, print the image on card-stock.  Then using a xacto knife cut out a thin line, like you normally see on plastic stencils you purchase.  Then use either the pounce or blue pen to mark the image on your quilt top.  

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Cagey

Thanks Cagey. I have used the pounce pad but don't like when quilting because the powder line ends up bouncing off as I quilt and is everywhere. I don't apply very heavy so what ever is marking the line disappears almost completely. Obviously I may not be doing something right. Will try the card stock I didn't think about using that. I was cutting things out of the stencil material and that wasn't much fun.

Bonnie:

If you have chalk pounce powder, it probably will rub off.  If you use the white heat removed powder, it will not rub off.  It may lighten just a little, but I have some on my quilts until I washed them.  It was one of the reasons a number of quilting instructors suggest using the heat removed powder.  It maintains the lines for quilting for a long time.  

I you have the heat powder, I would suggest you refill the reservoir and then tap it about 50 times while in the base.  Then rub it across the lines and see how it works.  Maybe you did not have enough of the powder in the pouch pad for it to work well.  Also, when you store pad after use, it was suggested to turn it upside down, so the powder did not continue to work its way through the pad.

I wish you the best of luck.

Cagey

Another hint-- when you use any kind of chalk powder, put it in a small resealable container. Then dip a cheap foam brush into the chalk and push the chalk through the stencil. You'll have great control. much less waste, and less chalk powder floating around. It'll give a nice sharp image to work with.

At MQS this year, Jamie Wallen recommended using cheap dollar store hairspray to lightly mist over your chalk powder with the stencil still in place. He said that this would hold the chalk powder in place so you could quilt your design. Remove its a batting scrap.

Always do a test before doing this on a customer quilt, since you do not know if the fabrics have been washed or how old they are.

Cagey,  I have COPD, and have to use a dust mask when I use the blue or white Pounce.  Without the mask I really start coughing hard.  not fun.

I like the white marking pencil, as well as the blue.  easy to remove, also.

Thanks,

Rita

Archived