Mary's Shop Hop Quilt

This quilt was for a new customer.  She bought it during a Shop Hop and couldn't remember how it was quilted.  But she knew she didn't want feathers.  The fact that the background in the green blocks on the outer border, and the background on the red blocks in the next border didn't match, was a concern for me.  I didn't know if I should do the same design in both backgrounds.  Originally, I decided to stipple in the background between the red and green blocks, then use cc's on the outside of both borders.  However, as I began to quilt, I changed my mind.  Quilting the border backgrounds separately seemed to be the correct choice.  I love how the red border pops.

A big thank you to Valerie Smith for suggesting the outline around the center part of the quilt.  If I were to do it over, I would make the outline bigger, so it really showed off.  I wanted to go a little bigger than 1/4 inch, but not 1/2 inch.  But closer to a 1/2 inch would have looked better.  I also forget that with quilting, the material pulls in and looks smaller.

After showing her some designs, she chose the design for the red and she wanted leaves in the outer border. She only wanted one batting and chose the Hobbs 80/20.  I used six different So Fine threads.  Hope you like it.

19698283973_861fc290f9.jpgShop Hop (8) by Libby G, on Flickr

20132646119_30b6e75396.jpgShop Hop (3) by Libby G, on Flickr

20319261875_effec2256a.jpgShop Hop (7) by Libby G, on Flickr

19698267643_bb0af3246a.jpgShop Hop by Libby G, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Archived