A very thick quilt- thicker than you think!

A client quilt on the frame  is a cotton pieced top, a lofty - very lofty polyfil, and a minkee backing.   I've adjusted the hopping foot up to allow for a business card thickness, have a loose sandwich tension, a long stitch and a new needle.   I am echoing 1/2 inch on each piece in the stained glass pattern.  The LEAD is untouched.   My corners are railroading and occasionally the vertical stitch lines on the top are laying flat. 

What do I need to know and do, to wrestle and win this battle with this thick thick quilt? 

Charlotte

You can try to press the batting down by using a template next to the needle. I have a C-shaped template for stitching binding on the longarm, where the center slot accepts the hopping foot and the sides compress the sandwich and keep you on line. A big name quilter (I can't remember who) has large oval templates with a slot for the hopping foot, that are used to stitch fills where there is fullness. Using the same principle--squish down and stabilize the sandwich to stitch more easily. I'll see if I can find the templates on line. Finding the sweet spot where the hopping foot doesn't plow the fabric and your stitches are still nice---that's a problem... :(

Is this the one you were referring to Linda

http://www.glidengo.com/the-circle-and-the-cookie/

You can try to press the batting down by using a template next to the needle. I have a C-shaped template for stitching binding on the longarm, where the center slot accepts the hopping foot and the sides compress the sandwich and keep you on line. A big name quilter (I can't remember who) has large oval templates with a slot for the hopping foot, that are used to stitch fills where there is fullness. Using the same principle--squish down and stabilize the sandwich to stitch more easily. I'll see if I can find the templates on line. Finding the sweet spot where the hopping foot doesn't plow the fabric and your stitches are still nice---that's a problem... :(

I was using the template idea, but still issues!  I eventually loosened the bobbin tension til the thing almost hit the floor on the test, loosened the top tension, did not use the stitch regulator and I'm now on a roll.  The solution: don't accept this type of work ever again!  

Charlotte

Archived