NQR - I do have super powers

My 19 year old DGD is visiting for two weeks with her girlfriend.  She asked me if I would fix a hole in her jeans last night around ten so she could wear them to the beach today and I said "sure".  Then she brought me the jeans.  I think it's the first time in my life I've ever said "Oh my!"  She didn't want all of the holes mended, just the huge one over her butt cheek.  Adding to the problem is the fact these jeans are stretchy.  I didn't have any iron on patches because I never thought I'd have a need for them.  She wanted all the other holes and she didn't want anything "cute" put over the one I was fixing.  I suggested some great embroidery....but no...too cutesy.  I suggested sewing some fabric so it would look like she was wearing boxer shorts under and she said that wouldn't work because the fabric may clash with some of the blouses she wanted to wear.  I guess I was just glad she was willing to cover up most of her behind.  I had to put a piece of fabric on the underside and sew over it.  You can see little pieces of the black material.

I remember having a pair of jeans with a hole in the knee and my dad threw a fit and called me a "hippie"...lol. 

Added a pic of her wearing them so they did look ok after all. 

Great job, Oma! I won't say "great save" because those jeans might be almost beyond saving!  :wacko:  I bet your DGD was happy and also doesn't have any idea how much work that was. I hope she understands that you do have super powers! 

*sigh* I'm old. I remember when you bought jeans and wore them until they faded. Maybe washed them a zillion times and put in a bit of bleach. Then the manufacturers caught on and we had stone-washed jeans---pre-faded. But if you wore a hole---out they went. You have to be young to pull that "careless" look off. If I wore them I'd get handed $$ on the street cuz people would think I was homeless... :D  ;)

Sometimes I help out at an alterations shop. (I don't mind mending--I know--weird!)

They frequently get requests like that. What happens is they get the "ripped jeans look" jeans, then when they try to step into them, they'll catch a toe or something and RIIIPPP... what once was fashionable is now possibly indecent exposure!  lol!  

When they get to that point, most of the time the gals will say, "nope. it's time to buy new jeans."  The problem is that the reinforced part is now stronger than the fabric around it, so it will most likely tear again, right next to it. Then, they get mad because now they've spent $$ on getting it fixed.  So, it becomes a point of diminishing returns. 

IMHO...you went above and beyond the call of duty here. 

I fix dh's coveralls, so when they've been mended, I stitch a tiny heart on the top edge.  Recently, I did a whole batch and set them out for him to put away, this time I hadn't done any hearts. He started examining them and said, "Where's my heart?!"...had to take them back in the sewing room and put hearts on them all!   

sammi

Archived