To Label or Not to Label

Becky, I don't quilt for others but if I did, I would never put a label on someone's quilt without their permission. You do not own the quilt. If you wanted others to know you quilted it, you might want to put something in your work order/contract stating that the customer should put something like "Quilted by Becky @ Ripley Quilting" on their label and if the quilt is entered into a show, your name must be listed as the quilter and how ribbons/money awards must be shared. I think it is quite presumptious to put your label on someones quilt. 

I agree with Sue. There is a bit of etiquette in the quilting-for-hire world. You may certainly make a label for your customer (or offer that as a paid service) but attaching one without permission isn't a good idea. Another argument is you don't really know which way is up on a lot of quilts, and shows are particular where the label is placed. Let them attach it if they decide they like your label.

Nice of your husband to be interested and giving you some advice---sounds like he's proud of you!  :wub:

No I wouldn't - because the quilt itself doesn't belong to me so I don't do anything to it that isn't asked...however it's completely appropriate to send along a few business cards with the quilt.  :)  You don't even need to ask for them to pass them out as it's implied...especially if a client is really  happy I'll throw three or four in the box when shipping home (or in the envelope with their invoice)...  :)  Most folks if they like your work are thrilled to share your info with their friends...I have made my way into quite a few sewing circles that way! 

Thanks ladies, I appreciate the feedback.  I was uncomfortable with attaching my label.  Now that you explained about the quilts not being mine to alter, I have more reason not to do that.  I'll continue with the practice of including some business cards with each quilt returned.  Besides, I already have those, so no extra cost to produce them.

Thanks again.

I would attach a label or stitch a consistent motif (logo) or my initials in a corner.  Currently I stitch my initials in a corner, as well as stitch the piecers initials in another corner.  I'm thinking of also adding in the date next to the piecers initials.  I do this especially when using my own quilting designs in free-motion.   What I have learned to do is to be upfront with my clients that I do this and why.  We are craftswomen/men not just a service for hire.  Not only does signing validate two quilters coming together to make a quilt, but historically quilts signed are more valuable and tell a story better then those not signed.  

My neighbor is a woodworker and attaches his name to each piece a customer commissions him to make.  He is proud of his work, and yes the piece was paid for by someone else, but the mark of a artist & craftswoman tells the story of who made it. I know it is tricky because it is two people coming together to make a quilt and at the end of the day, the one who pieces the quilt, own the quilt. Yet.... the other maker needs to be acknowledged as well.  

I guess this brings up another question......how do we as quilters and also quilters for hire value our work? How does society value what we do?  For too long women have undervalued their handwork.  It was (is?) seen by many as only domestic goods and not as the art it is.  It is time for us to not be so invisible.  Something to think about.

Good luck.  

Archived