Longarm etiquette

A new member (hi Becky!) asked a question about attaching a label to a customer quilt. I replied that there is a certain specific etiquette that new longarmers might need to be aware of. It isn't even industry specific--just some common sense and things we've learned from hard experience.

I'll start and please add more "rules".   :ph34r:

The customer gets to see the finished quilt first. If it's in view when another customer is coming, put it away.

A signed in-take form will save you lots of problems and show you to be a professional.

No quilt is perfectly pieced. If you have a problem with fullness or bad borders and can't seem to overcome the issues, a call to your customer is needed. Have them come over to make some decisions on how to proceed. While you don't want to make them feel bad, being aware of the problems and how you plan to fix them will make friends.

Okay quilters---add your ideas!

Here's the "other side"--etiquette for customers (I know, I'm dreaming!)

If you make an appointment, keep it.

Make sure your items are longarm-ready.

If you don't like something after quilting, let the quilter know. That's why she took notes on the intake sheet to refer to. If the thread/batting/quilting design are wrong, you have recourse and allow her/him to make the necessary corrections or an adjustment in the bill. Don't accept it and then tell your friends how disappointed you are. Tell her.

Please add to this list as well!

Linda, What did you say to Becky regarding attaching a label to a customers quilt?  

Other guidelines (rules) I would add...

Sign your free-motion work and make sure your clients are aware you do sign.  Especially if you just spent the last 5 days doing heirloom free-motion quilting on a customers quilt.  Artist sign their work and we are collaborating on a piece.  We are not only providing a service, we are craftwomen/craftmen.

Don't under price your craftsmanship. When we low-ball our pricing, we hurt everyone in this artistic field.

Yes... have a intake form that requires a signature approving the basics - batting, thread choice, size and estimated cost, etc.  Take lots of notes on what the client wants and read the notes back to the client to verify.

Ask permission (or ask the question on your intake form) before posting a clients quilt on your website, blog or FB/social media pages.

The other side etiquette for customers is a great list.  Hmmm... I'll need to think about what to add.  

Thank you for starting this conversation.  

Archived