To sign or not to sign your free motion quilting for customers

dawnpdx

Do you stitch your initials or some type of symbol on your customers quilts when completing a heirloom free-motion or free-motion edge to edge quilt?  All artist sign their work but in this case we are collaborating with a other artist (the quilt top artist) when working on their pieced tops.  Currently if I'm quilting a customers quilt using my own quilt designs, I stitch a few initials in the corner.  If I'm quilting a customers quilt using a design board or pantograph, I'm conflicted on what to do.  Thanks and I look forward to having this discussion. 

I would not sign the quilt with my name or initials. I think placing a signature motif in an inconspicuous place..if it is very small..would be acceptable if the customer is OK with it. They might even enjoy looking for it. I would disclose that prior to quilting. Something along the lines of "I place a small butterfly somewhere on each quilt. My customers enjoy trying to find it. Would you rather I not do this on your quilt? It's up to you."

This is an interesting conversation.  The idea of small inconspicuous initials or symbol in a corner doesn't seem like a big problem to me.  When you think of all the other products or items to buy out there, a lot of them have some kind of identifier on them.  All the car lots that stick a shiny sticker on a car that has been on their lot--they sure haven't done a thing to make it, just cleaned and tuned it.  If it is not glaringly noticeable, it would be nice to have a way to let others know who did the quilt work on a piece.

As long as you told your customers that you "signed" your work, and your signature/design were small and did not take away from the piecing/quilting, I do not believe it would or should be an issue.  Is anybody truly going to see or be disturbed by a 1 to 2 inch in length by 1/4 to 1/2 inch signature block in a baby quilt, much less a full sized quilt?

I for one have started embroidering on all my gift quilts my personal logo.  I embroider it on just before finishing the quilting of the border.  The thread matches the quilt top, and I quilt around the design.  Nobody has complained that I have done this on their gift from me to them.

Take care, and tight threads.

Cagey

I took a class with Sally Terry and she suggested each of us create a logo to sign our quilts. This is mine. I have a cat named Disco and he is not allowed in the studio only to come in walk around and back out. BTW I belong to him not the other way around! So here is my logo and the gals I quilt for always want it on their quilts and love to hunt fot it.!!!

16478413243_76633cd617.jpg20150410_094247 by Dell Dunman, on Flickr

Archived