10 foot vs 12 ft table

So I'm getting ready to finalize my order of a Millennium and I have a serious question to ask about the different table length choices.  Simplest way to ask is, if I get the 10 foot table instead of the 12 foot, when do you think I am likely to regret it?  

In my head, you see, 10 feet is 120 inches, and I've never made a quilt with a dimension that long--biggest is 108.  If I have a 108 inch square quilt, will it give me problems to quilt it on a 10 ft table?  A nine-foot square quilt.  

You see I have room for a 12 foot table in the room, but the end of a baby grand piano extends into the room.  A ten foot table would fit with no problems, but if I get a 12 foot table, I think I'll have to get rid of the piano.  Originally I was so excited about the Millie that i was willing to lose the piano and replace it with a good digital piano with a much smaller footprint.  But as I live into this whole thing, I wonder.....

So if I'm not going to be routinely disappointed with the shorter table, I think I'd prefer the 10.  

Any opinions?  I know it sounds like I've made up my mind, but I'm going back and forth so much, that I fear I'm afraid to make a decision.

Kevin the indecisive!

Kevin, are you getting this machine for personal use only, or to start a business?  If for a business, I would think the 12' table is a must.  If for personal use only, and if you are convinced you will never, ever, never make a quilt bigger than 108", the 10 footer may be enough.  (I don't know the actual quiltable area of a 10' table.) 

I have a 12' table for personal use, and am glad I do, even though I have yet to need all that length.  We have a Cal-king bed, and someday I will be loading a quilt for it on Emmeline. 

Just one person's opinion.  I'm sure others will also chime in with their ideas, as well. 

I have a 10ft table as that is all that would fit into my room.  I have about 108" of canvas on my frame and have never made anything that large, however I wish that I had a 12ft table.  I find that when I have my Circle Lord or Quilazoid mounted at the front I run out of room very quickly. 

I've had the 10' table for over 5 years and have recently been wishing I had the room for at least the 12'. Although the 10'has been fine for my own quilts so far, I didn't take into consideration back when purchasing that some added on accessories can reduce the quilt able space. Two that I have acquired are a Quiltazoid and the Precise Pantogram System. I have been able to mount several quilts off center to accommodate these items but if the tops had been any wider it would not have worked on my 10' table. Just something to keep in mind. Sally

A 12' frame has leaders that are 120" long and the usable space from edge to edge is accurate only if the leaders are perfectly lined up. That pin-able length will only apply to the backer and not the quilt top, which logistically needs to be at least 4" smaller. The largest backer I've managed was 118" with no place to park the machine off the quilt.  I've read of many who have regretted not getting the bigger frame and a couple who have upgraded to a longer frame in a short time. 

Get the biggest frame you can manage, space-wise, since the cost is the same. Realize as well that eventual resale will be impacted if you have a smaller frame. I guess you know where I land on this one!  ;)

I'll add my two cents worth to the others - I had a 10' table and recently upgraded to Bliss with a 12' table - makes a difference especially with the Circle Lord and other "required - for me  :) " accessories.  I only quilt for myself and for my guild and church charitable quilts, and prior to the new table, I made sure I didn't accept the larger quilts.  Before I made sure I only took the smaller quilts, but now I can quilt almost any given to me.  

I got the largest frame I could. I'm blessed with a 14 by 39 foot room, so you know I have  a 14 foot. Even with that it can get tight if I have a HUGE quilt on the frame and trying to use all of my toys. However whatever you get you will love it, just try to get the largest you can fit. You never know when I have to work on your machine and it is nice to have a little room!!!

My only small frame was a lil grace 10" wooden frame. I quickly out grew that whole system. I've never had a 12". My Millie (patience) is on a 14". I can't imagine having smaller. I only quilt for myself but we have twin all the way to CA king. I've not made a quilt 14" yet but I like to park Patience on the side and whatever I'm using on that quilt goes on the table.

I would get the biggest you have room for. If you ever plan to have customers I would go the biggest you can.

Thinking of resale...Most on this site are looking for at least 12".

On the other hand I seen a lady that asked for a 7" frame.

I'm not a pianist but my middle boy is. He would be heartbroken if we got ride of the piano. We have an electronic weighted key piano. He is telling me it sounds just like a big piano but not as pretty looking lol.

Only my 2 cents.

No matter what size you decide to go with you will be thrilled beyond belief to quilt with your new Millie.

Linda is right. The largest quilt you will get on the Millie frame is about 2 feet shorter than the table length. So you would be hard pressed to get anything more than a 96 inch top on the 10 footer. I think we may have had 2 quilts in 8 years that didn't fit on the 12 foot table. I think APQS will make you an 11 if you insist but I think the 12 would be a better choice.

Nigel

Thanks.  It may take a little creative re-positioning, but I think I can squeeze a 12 foot table into the room.  I just have to move the piano a little further into the living room.  I think I can twist it a bit and it will work.  I just don't want it to be too crowded.  I think I'll try it, and if it bugs me when everything is set up, I'll give the piano away and replace it with a digital.  The baby grand is a gorgeous piece of furniture, and I'll miss it, so that would be a last resort.  

• 1 month later...

12 foot it is, and the piano will be pushed a little further into the living room--who's gonna sit in there now that there's a Millie in the dining room? When my son moves out (he WILL move out one day won't he?), I'll get him to take the couch with him and leave me the love seat, which is all I need.  Problems solved.  

• 2 weeks later...

Smart choice KK.  I've had a 10ft table since 2007 and done ok with it but now that I've moved I can get a 12ft or 14ft.  I plan on eventually changing out my table, I just hate the thought of breaking everything down and putting it on the new table (my millie has the IQ attached and cameras for watching the underside of my quilts).  Have fun and enjoy, don't be shy about asking questions here.

Archived