Won a ribbon for this quilt.Cattails in the meadow finished Help...I want to stitch from the middle first updated with picture

My customer sent me a message last night she won second place at here local quilt show with this quilt I did for her. I was so excited this is the first quilt I custom quilted that has won a ribbon. 

:D Happy dance

I have had several people ask to see this quilt here it is the customer was very happy with what I did with it thanks for all the advise.

Thank-you everybody for your Ideas I ended up pin basting and I am very happy with how it turned out. Here is a picture.

I could use some guidance I am working on a Judy Niemeyer quilt, Cattails in the meadow. I want to start in the middle and quilt out from there.

Anybody have suggestions or step by step instruction so I do not get wrinkles in the backing. Thank-you in advance if you can help me.

12042799_910712232356273_112081020542228

Pin baste to Center in 4" grid, pins parallel to bars, stitch from Center to bottom of quilt, then roll back to Center and stitch Center to top edge. I have done this a few times, and I think especially for Judy's medallion style quilts is a good choice....

Thanks Ardelle that is what I was thinking of doing hoping somebody would confirm my idea.

I pin baste any quilt that I am not doing in an overall. 

Usually I work one colour from top to bottom and pin baste all the unquilted areas.

Use the clover Flower head pins #2506 the 0.7mm x L.54mm, then you can use your ruler base and they do not interfere with it.

I have about 500 of these ready to use and 200 more in the pin drawer ready for the biggy quilts.

I hate to pin baste, and I hate dealing with the pin. I would do as Beth Durand said. The basting pattern isn't as important as the big stitches so that it is easily removed. Loose tension...what would be bad tension..also makes it easier to remove.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Terry, WOW, just have to comment again, and a big congratulations for the second place.

LOL, I entered one of the quilts Marintha pieced and bound, and in between I did just an all over

e2e computerized design.  We won $7.00 prize money.. I gave her half and the ribbon.

She was thrilled.

The cashier thought I was nuts when I laughed over the $7.00.  Wont buy much, maybe

tater chips, dip and a candy bar.

Archived