Accuquilt GO or Sizzix? Pro's/Con's?

Which one have you or would you buy? I`m new to the world of die cutters. I would be using mine for mainly fabric/quilting.

I have looked into both. My main thing is price, size, dies available, and reliability.

I like the Accuquilt Go because of the size and that it folds up. My concerns with the Accuguilt are high price and cost of dies.

I am a college student an wouldn't be using the one that I get all the time, I would mainly use it around the holidays and to make special gifts.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!! :)

I own all the AccuQuilt cutters - the Go! Baby, the Go!, the Go! Big, and the Studio (I also teach piecing classes using the Go cutters). I have no experience with Sizzix so I can't address them. I love the AccuQuilt products both the cutters and the dies. I have used them for about 6 or 7 years now use them about 99% of the time. I never want to go back to just using my rotary cutter and rulers. Using the dies and cutters will give you much more accurate pieces and once you learn to properly lay your fabric on the dies, there is very little waste of fabric. Since you can cut up to 6 layers of fabric with the Go!, cutting is faster than with your rotary cutter and ruler. I use the strip cutters all the time not only for strips but I also use them to cut squares, 60 degree diamonds, strip sets, etc. I love the half square triangles as the dog ears are already trimmed and if you cut fabric with right sides together, there is no fussing with them to get them to align properly - no marking a line on the diagonal and then cutting. I also love cutting curves such as the winding ways, apple core, drunkard's path, and more. Before I got the Go! I would never have considered cutting out a full-size quilt using templates - too much work. The dies make it easy! 

Yes, the Go! (I prefer the electric Go! Big) is expensive and the dies are also pricey, but AccuQuilt is always having sales and they last forever. I think once you get it, you'll begin to use it all the time!

I have the manual Go....and I do like it....I tried to think of what dies I would use the most of...so I got the 1.5, 2, and 2.5 strip dies....I use the 2.5 one on every quilt as I cut my binding strips 2.5...it goes fast for that....I also have some of the square ones....2.5, 3.5, and 5 inch are the ones I use the most...I also got some of the 1/2 square triangle ones....I have gotten most of them as I needed them although they do have some "sets" if you want them all ....I have also recently got some of the tumbler dies but haven't used them yet...for the most part, I haven't gotten the "flower or specialty shaped ones as I figure I would not use them very frequently as I don't do a lot of applique....I am not sorry I got the Go....I think the studio would be great....but it is not portable and the dies are even more expensive...I only piece for myself.  I haven't tried the other cutters either...Lin

I have the GO manual also. I look at it as an investment. I purchased mine on Craigslist from a woman who tried it once and did not like it. There is a little learning curve, I believe. If you pay attention to the fabric placement, you will love it. I love that it is fast for cutting out a quilt. I only buy the dies when they are on sale. I have picked them up at JoAnns for $9.00 on clearance...I love a great deal. I don't know about the Sizzix.

Since you are only going to use it around the holidays, have you considered a Cameo cutter? It doesn't use dies, you use your computer to set up the designs. It has drawbacks. Only something less than 12 by 24 inches and only one layer at a time. It really depends on what type of shapes you plan to use. If you want to cut strips, it doesn't work well due to length restraints. I have the Go, Go Big, and Studio cutters and love each for what it does well. I cut my strips with the Studio model. Other shapes depend on what die I have. I have adapters so I can use some of my Go dies on the Studio. You might want to actually try each of the options before buying. I don't know anything about the Sizzix.

My niece does a lot of scrapbooking and loves her Cameo. She was shocked when I said I wanted to cut fabric with mine.

I have the manual GO. Like someone said before I use the 2.5 strip on every quilt for binding at least. I've not tried any of the appliqué dies as I don't appliqué. However I have a nice little stash going of dies lol. Joanns and ebay are my go to places for dies as they generally are cheaper. Price is the only reason I don't have the Studio and dies. It would come in handy to cut 10 layers at once.

I've not tried the sixx but sounds likeit's comparable to GO and can use other dies.

Archived