Star quilt progress

I thought I'd share my progress with all of you.  I know I share a lot on FB but not everybody is on FB.  Eventually I'll have to come up for a name for this quilt but not sure yet.  I've been working hard on the applique.  I used my new appliquick tools for the turning of all the applique and I LOVE them!  It is very hard to show how small these pieces really are.  The entire quilt right now is about 34" but will end around 32".  The applique circles are 3 sizes, larges is .33" then 1/4" and the smallest around the big flower is about 3/16"!  I love the challenge of this kind of work.  The scrolls are probably 4" each section and not even 1/4" wide.  I used Sharon Schamber's stabilizer.  I've got it all glued to the top and now I can start the hand applique work.  I wanted to make this at least 30" big, not my original plan which was 20" but then found out that most shows have a minimum 30" requirement.  I didn't want to add the applique and just make it look like I was trying to make it bigger so I turned it on point and added the green border.  The green was originally 1" wide, sounds small right?  Well not small enough!  I cut it down to 1/2".  I played around with a lot of applique designs and finally decided I love this scroll design.  I just mirrored the same design until I could get it to go around my piece and fill it in.  I didn't want it to take over, but compliment the star.  I wasn't sure how it would all work out but I happy to say I'm elated with how it looks!  I've started formulating the quilting design in my head at least.  This is my challenge to myself and meant just to be a fun no stress project.  So far I've loved the challenge.  The colors just make me happy.  It all started my my own hand dyed fabrics.  I added in 2 two batiks to get enough variation to the pinks and I'm reasonably happy with that.  My advice is if you have an idea go for it, it is so much fun!  

post-2404-0-82627800-1442843544_thumb.jpg

What was the tool you used to make the circles?  Is that Sharon's?

LIbby the stabilizer is the foundation for the circles and yes that is from Sharon Schamber.  It just feels like a stiff foundation but when washed it turns into fiber and is very soft.  It gives you a great edge to turn the applique on, better then freezer paper I think.  You can find stabilizers by Pellon that are similar but I've found that I like her's best.  The gal that made the appliquick tools also has a foundation but it is an iron on.  I haven't tried it, it is super soft already.  A few of my friends have said that it isn't stiff enough.  

Wow, that's gorgeous Heidi!  You always do such beautiful work.  Isn't it rewarding to design your own and see it come to life?? 

What kind of thread did you use to do the applique work?  I haven't done much applique and would imagine a very thin thread would be best.

Wow, that's gorgeous Heidi!  You always do such beautiful work.  Isn't it rewarding to design your own and see it come to life?? 

What kind of thread did you use to do the applique work?  I haven't done much applique and would imagine a very thin thread would be best.

Thank you Pat.  I love being able to create and then loving what I actually did.  I use 50 weight cotton for the applique.  The color that worked best for this one is Masterpiece.  I have the superbobs and that gives me a lot of options at hand.  I've used bottomline too and like how it works.  

Definitely, you are gifted! Thanks for sharing your work and your techniques!

How did you make the scrolls so consistent?

Thank you Heidi.  I use a stabilizer, Sharon Schambers, under the applique.  I also use my KNK cutter, similar to a cricket, to cut the foundation.  Cutting the foundation took a lot of playing with because it is very fibrous and the cutter wanted to pull it apart.  I finally got the settings right and it worked perfectly.  These scrolls are so narrow that I still had to be careful that they didn't lose their intended shape.  I was able to manipulate them though to get them exact before I glued it all to the background.  

Heidi showed me the blue piece at our Guild meeting.  It was so darn small, I really wasn't sure if it was real or not at first.  It's crazy.  Bet your glad you bought those glasses Heidi!  Loving how it's coming out.  Your talent is amazing.

Hahahaha Joann glad to see you!  Yes I'm super glad I bought those glasses but I didn't have them for most of the scroll work, they came when I had 2 pieces to go!  I will love them for the quilting!  I think everybody that has seen the quilt and then see the actual size are just amazed.  I love the challenge.  Haven't touched it in a week though.  Oh live please give me a break.

Archived